Shutter Speed help...choice of Cameras

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Marty H, Sep 21, 2004.

  1. Marty H

    Marty H Guest

    First of all "newbie alert!"

    short version

    would 1/2000 sec shutter speed be fast nought for taking motorcycle pics
    seeing this one was taken at 1/1000
    http://www.martyh.com/sbk04/imagepages/image41.htm
    taken with the DSC-S75 3x optical and 2x digital
    1/1000 F6.3 IS0 100 bike doing 135mph+/220kph+, camera heavily panned

    there are heaps of cameras in my price range (in Australia so prices around
    the Olympus c770) that will do 1/1000 or 1/2000 max

    I don't want to buy a camera that doesn't do what I want it to do, but as a
    hobby only don't want to pay over the top for camera that I cant afford (i.e
    SLR)

    could stretch to the Minolta DiMAGE A1
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a1.html
    which is what I would really love, but it could be a little big for carring
    around on the bike

    ta

    Marty H

    long version

    be mucking around with digital camera for about 2 years but still consider
    myself a newbie, my work can be seen at www.martyh.com <shameless plug>
    must of this stuff is up on the web for the people who I converse with on
    the net who couldn't be at the event, not as a display of my lack of talent
    :)

    most photos taken by a Kodak dx3215 1.3mp (mine)
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/dx3215.html

    some taken by Sony FD 97 2.1mp (great camera for its day IMHO), love its
    optical zoom (employer's)
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/fd97.html
    pics @ http://www.martyh.com/motoshow/index.htm

    and some by a Sony DSC-S75, lacks the optical zoom (ex-gf's)
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/s75.html
    pics @ http://www.martyh.com/sbk04/index.htm

    also a played with the Olympus c750,
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/c750uz.html
    both my boss and workmate have this camera and are wrapped with it, so am I
    except the shutter speed, hence the main reason of this post

    as you can see most of my picture taking is centred around Motorcycles and
    downside to taking pictures of motorcycles and they sometimes go fast, there
    inst many photos of moving bikes because none of them came out (esp with the
    Kodak)
    http://www.martyh.com/eildon_we_2002/imagepages/image29.htm
    that image was taken at 1/250, F8, ISO 100 and the bike doning approx
    50mph/80kph

    both the Kodak and Olympus run a max 1/1000 shutter, but the Olympus has a
    F2.8 aperture compared with the Kodak's F4.5,

    http://www.martyh.com/sbk04/imagepages/image41.htm
    taken with the DSC-S75 3x optical and 2x digital
    1/1000 F6.3 IS0 100 bike doing 135mph+/220kph+, camera heavily panned

    I think I just answered my on question with that last photo, is 1/1000 going
    to be fast enough?? no? what about 1/2000, there is a real lack of cameras
    in the price range I am looking at with anything above 1/2000 sec.

    wish list
    not a full SLR
    10x optical zoom (6x min)
    fast enough shutter speed for bike pics
    4MP min
    good quality optics
    capable of taking screw on adaptors and filters
    full manual operation aswell as auto
    AA Batteries preferable
    hot shoe

    not concerned with
    movie mode
    on board effects
    digital zoom

    top of the list is the Minolta DiMAGE A1
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a1.html
    with its 1/16,000 sec shutter speed

    Fuji S7000
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/s7000.html
    1/10,000 sec

    then the cheaper side of things and a little more realistic

    Olympus c750, (or 770)
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/c750uz.html
    1/1000 sec :(

    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/fz10.html
    1/2000 sec

    and heaps of others in the 1/1000 to 2/2000 ranges like the new Fuji's

    ta

    Marty H

    Marty H, Sep 21, 2004

  2. Marty H

    Matt Ion Guest

    I've frozen the rotor blades on a hovering helicopter with only the
    slightest blur at the tips, at 1/1000... 1/2000 should fast enough to
    capture a Larry King marriage in its entirety.

    Matt Ion, Sep 21, 2004

  3. Marty H

    ZONED! Guest

    Yes, more than fast enough.
    Panning at these speeds are the tricky part

    ZONED!, Sep 21, 2004
  4. Hi Marty,

    Make sure you get one with manual focus. Most of the non DSLRs have trouble
    auto focusing on moving objects. I think the Panasonic FZ10 is definitely worth
    a look and is a much better camera thatn the Fuji S7000.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, Sep 22, 2004
  5. Marty H

    Hunt Guest

    It depends. In most cases yes. If the axis of the lens is perpendicular to the
    action, and the speed of the cycle is very high, maybe not. The closer "on-
    axis" your subject is, the better you can stop that action. Also, if you are
    shooting jumps, a little pan will usually capture the cycle at its apex at 1/
    2000 very nicely. The forward speed will still be significant, but you will
    follow that, and capture the bike, as it hangs in the air.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Sep 22, 2004