    the remote. Yeah, reaching around is slightly awkward. I'd say find
    out for yourself how much it bothers you, before deciding to spend
    more money on another accessory.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 8, 2005

  2. default

    default Guest

    Good point. I think I will be happy with the RC-1. I thought that since
    the Rebel XT didn't have an eyepiece shutter, that I either had to keep
    close to it to keep too much light from entering or using the eyepiece cover
    but wouldn't the flipped up mirror prevent the light from entering anyway?

    default, Dec 8, 2005

  3. default

    Alex Guest

    You can make your own wired one for about £3 anyway. No where near as plush
    as the Canon one, but it works fine for me on my 350D. And you can make the
    cord longer.

    http://www.chantalcurrid.com/remoteControl.htm

    That said, as someone else mentioned the 350D is a smaller camera and I've
    found this a real problem with a slower lens.

    Alex

    Alex, Dec 8, 2005
  4. default

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Hmm, the metering cells are part of the viewfinder system, so the
    mirror wouldn't help, and there might be a small effect. Some SLR's
    with no eyepiece shutter come with little cheap black plastic gizmos
    that you can put over the eyepiece to stop incoming light. With a
    digital I'd say just check the LCD after you take the shot, and adjust
    exposure if you need to.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 8, 2005
  5. default

    default Guest

    I might just do this. Thank you for the idea.

    default, Dec 8, 2005
  6. default

    Alfred Molon Guest

    With the Olympus 8080 I always use the infrared remote control when the
    camera is on the tripod. There is no way to be sure that the camera
    won't move when you press the shutter button.

    Alfred Molon, Dec 8, 2005
  7. default

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Yes, very much like that. I have noticed many novice photographers
    'stabbing' the button like poking someone to get their attention. A
    nice squeeze between the thumb and the finger pressing the button, with
    the thumb placed to counteract the force exerted by the finger.
    Practice to get this right.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 8, 2005
  8. default

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    The 350D does.

    Neil Ellwood, Dec 8, 2005
  9. default

    Pete D Guest

    Does your camera do mirror lockup? Use that mode instead of the ten second
    delay.

    Pete D, Dec 8, 2005
  10. default

    John Fryatt Guest

    Get a more sturdy tripod/head. With a decent tripod you shouldn't really
    be able to move the camera that easily, certainly not by just gently
    pressing the shutter release.
    Ideally you should use a remote release as well.

    John Fryatt, Dec 8, 2005
  11. default

    Jer Guest

    In my early years, I had the same issue. While attending an outdoor
    concert, a pal in my photo class showed me her technique of slowly and
    gently "rolling" the magic apendage onto the shutter release. This has
    worked so well for me, it has become my default method of releasing the
    shutter all the time. Practice, practice, practice.

    Jer, Dec 8, 2005
  12. default

    Guns/Zen4 Guest

    Surely you can program it not to do that? I can with my Nikon D70
    {donning flame suit and ducking}

    Guns/Zen4, Dec 8, 2005
  13. default

    m Ransley Guest

    For film on a tripod it was always cable release or timer. Get a
    remote or cable of whatever sort. You will always interfeer if exposure
    is released as you push.

    But on my Sony W5 at long exposures the camera knows is to slow to
    hand hold it automaticly compensates by giving me a second or so to
    remove my hand and allow camera to stabilise itself. A nice feature that
    has allowed me to use long exposures to 30 sec.. I use alot of filters
    so its a handy feature.

    m Ransley, Dec 8, 2005
  14. default

    Dave Guest

    Just looked on the B&H site and they have a used RS-60E3 for $15.00. Is
    that within your price range?

    B&H Link:

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productList&A=buyUsed&Q=70561

    BTW, a new one is only $24.95. Be happy you're not using a Nikon.

    Hope this helps,
    Dave

    Dave, Dec 8, 2005
  15. default

    Dave Guest

    Looked a bit more and found that the RC-1 sells for $24.95 also. Seems
    like a no-brainer to me.

    Dave, Dec 8, 2005
  16. JEEZ! It's an electrical contact. Unless you've got Parkinson's, your
    body should not be imparting any undue motion.

    Randall Ainsworth, Dec 8, 2005
  17. default

    default Guest

    I can turn off the beeping, just cannot set the delay time.

    default, Dec 8, 2005
  18. default

    default Guest

    Thank you for the suggestion. Rolling the finger on may reduce the force
    change as the button moves which is important for hand holding shots as
    well. And more practice it will take.

    default, Dec 8, 2005
  19. default

    default Guest

    That is one of the things I like about it too. Especially when the kit lens
    is on, the camera is almost as light as a p&s camera but takes much better
    pictures.

    default, Dec 8, 2005
  20. default

    Doug Warner Guest

    http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/ShutterPinch.jpg

    Thumb on back, index finger on button. Just squeeze gently, keeping
    hand still. The result shot on the left was taken with the camera
    resting on my knee with a shutter speed of 1/4 sec.

    Doug Warner, Dec 9, 2005