Shutdown initiated by NT Authority

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nourah, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Nourah

Nourah

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) terminated unexpectedly. 60 second countdown and then the computer restarts safely.

At first I thought this occurred once hourly but now it seems to do it randomly; but only after I've been using the computer for some time (this may be immaterial).

I've ran virus scan and the Symantec blaster resolution. They both found nothing.

I should mention that this problem did not start occurring until I did some cleaning/switching over. I deleted internet explorer and switched to Firefox, I renamed "messenger" file (so Windows messenger doesn't run in background), and I deleted Adobe player (but not other adobe services).
    After I deleted and restarted my computer, windows update came up and tried to install internet explorer (as well as the blast worm service update; disguised as an internet explorer update) to which I said no to. About 20 minutes later, the first RPC failure message appeared.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Nourah, Sep 30, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Nourah

Nourah

Fixed own problem

Posting here as a courtesy to others who might have the problem.
    Reinstalling internet explorer and the services packs that come with it resolves this problem. Apparently even if you don't have the worm, you'll still get it's effects if you remove these...

Nourah, Sep 30, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question