Shut off automatic update in XP?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by GrandpaChuck, Aug 17, 2006.

  1. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    I do believe I have been asking the wrong questions.

    All I really need to know how to do is to turn off the automatic
    update window from coming up.

    After all, since all we use the computer for is listening to mp3 files
    and streaming audio, I don't think I need to take time to learn Linux
    or install another version of Windows.

    Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have saved the ones that look
    like they would be the most helpful when if I decide I want to learn
    Linux. I have a friend who has a server set up in Linux and loves it.
    The only reason he uses Windows at all is because all the computers
    where he works use it.
    --
    Proud Grandpa
    -ô¿ô-

    Americans killed in Iraq as of August 16, 2006 is 2,603.United Kingdom = 115 Other = 115
    Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
    more than 18,777 Americans wounded.
    08/17/2006 it’s 1204 days since Bush declared, "Mission Accomplished in Iraq."

    GrandpaChuck, Aug 17, 2006

  2. GrandpaChuck

    joevan Guest

    Try going to My Computer, right click on it and then properties.
    I think you can see what to do then. If not post back.

    joevan, Aug 17, 2006

  3. GrandpaChuck

    sittingduck Guest

    You need to open the sytem properties dialog in windows, where you will find
    a tab marked "Automatic Updates". Click on the tab, and select any of the
    options except "automatic". ('turn off' being my favorite)
    You can find system propeties by right-clicking on "My Computer" and
    selecting "Properties", by holding the Windows key and pressing the Pause
    key, or by clicking Start/Control Panel/System.

    If you can't figure out how to turn off automatic updates, forget about
    linux.
    Some of the current distros are pretty idiot-proof and noob-friendly, but
    eventually you will situations that you will find very difficult.

    sittingduck, Aug 17, 2006
  4. GrandpaChuck

    Whiskers Guest

    snip
    Actually, that particular job, like so many others, is actually far easier
    in a modern Linux distro [1] than in Windows - and you won't get those
    pesky 'warning bubbles' that I fully expect GrandpaChuck to be getting
    annoyed with any time now.

    [1] not least because many Linux distros don't actually have an automatic
    update service, and those that do tend to have it disabled by default on
    the sensible grounds that people like to be in charge of their computers,
    not the other way around.

    Whiskers, Aug 17, 2006
  5. GrandpaChuck

    Rich Guest

    assuming you have XP...

    START
    SETTINGS
    CONTROL PANEL
    SECURITY CENTER

    there you will find the control to turn off auto updates or to set it
    to notify only. imo you're being foolish not to keep your PC up to
    date with at least critical updates but to each their own.
    73,
    rich, n9dko

    (who hasn't kept count of all the innocent people in the world who
    have been killed and maimed by the heroic fighters of hamas,
    hezbollah, fatah, saddam, the ayotollah, etc. over the past 35 years.
    freedom ain't free. God bless the USA and God bless the American
    military)

    Rich, Aug 17, 2006
  6. GrandpaChuck

    Evan Platt Guest

    I would hope you have a very good firewall and anti-virus program.

    You're at least using Agent, although a very OLD version of Agent...
    Please tell me you don't use OutHouse for e-mail.

    Evan Platt, Aug 17, 2006
  7. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    Yes to both.
    Updated versions.
    You have that right.
    I use Mozilla Thunderbird.
    --
    Proud Grandpa
    -ô¿ô-

    GrandpaChuck, Aug 17, 2006
  8. GrandpaChuck

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Okay - here's the WHOLE ENCHILADA.

    Turn off the updates - Control Panel, Security Center, click on Automatic
    updates near the bottom of that window. Turn it off there, and close that.
    Now, on the left side of the Security Center, under Resources, click on
    Change the way Security Center alerts me. Uncheck Automatic Updates. Close
    that, close the security center, close control panel, and Windows will never
    bother you about it again.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 18, 2006
  9. GrandpaChuck

    Pennywise Guest

    To add (after that then),
    Start | Run <type in> services.msc <enter>
    Automatic Updates
    Stop the process, then disable,

    I don't do the update thing, and none come in.
    Seeing as this is a useless service, disable it.

    Pennywise, Aug 18, 2006
  10. GrandpaChuck

    Toolman Tim Guest

    True - one less thing running in the background - thanks for the tip!

    Toolman Tim, Aug 18, 2006
  11. GrandpaChuck

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Evan Platt.

    Agent was screwed up IMO at the start of V2.0. V1.93 was the last version
    I used and it's still only surpassed by Dialog for my uses.

    Ponder, Aug 18, 2006
  12. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    Are there good reasons to buy a newer version of Agent?

    --
    Proud Grandpa
    -ô¿ô-

    GrandpaChuck, Aug 18, 2006
  13. GrandpaChuck

    sittingduck Guest

    No, it sucked then and sucks now. (IMO)

    There are several FREE newsreaders that put it to shame.

    sittingduck, Aug 18, 2006
  14. GrandpaChuck

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya GrandpaChuck.

    No, that's my point :)

    Ponder, Aug 18, 2006
  15. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    Which one do you recommend and why?

    --
    Proud Grandpa
    -ô¿ô-

    Americans killed in Iraq as of August 17, 2006 is 2,604.United Kingdom = 115 Other = 115
    Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
    more than 18,777 Americans wounded.
    08/18/2006 it’s 1205 days since Bush declared, "Mission Accomplished in Iraq."

    GrandpaChuck, Aug 18, 2006
  16. GrandpaChuck

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya GrandpaChuck.

    Dialog. It has an Agent feel but is much more flexible. It's a pity
    development appears to have stalled though.

    Ponder, Aug 18, 2006
  17. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    Tried to find it in Tucows and Download.com
    No results.
    In Tucows the newest version of Agent is rated pretty good. Why do you
    not like it?

    --
    Proud Grandpa
    -ô¿ô-

    GrandpaChuck, Aug 19, 2006
  18. GrandpaChuck

    Spuds Guest

    Agent 4.0 was just released today. Tons of enhancements/bug fixes over the
    rather lame 2.0. Multiple servers, Optional, safe HTML rendering, integrated
    Bayesian spam filtering and more.

    Check it out here http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

    Spuds, Aug 19, 2006
  19. GrandpaChuck

    samuel Guest

    dialog keeps developing faster and is free

    samuel, Aug 19, 2006
  20. GrandpaChuck

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya GrandpaChuck.

    http://www.40tude.com/dialog
    When they went to v2.0 it was just a rewrite of v1.93. No additional
    features but slower and more cumbersome. Ok, they've added featured to
    bring it almost up to date but it's still in second place for me behind
    Dialog, which is free. You can donate but that's optional.

    Ponder, Aug 19, 2006