    Does such an item exist..if not, why not?
    Thanks folks
    Trev

    fmt, Dec 17, 2003

  2. fmt

    Stewy Guest

    I'd recommend a rucksack that fits on the front. Those oversized bum-bags
    are more trouble than they're worth as they impede walking and unless you
    pack it carefully will whack your vitals if you walk briskly or run.

    Stewy, Dec 17, 2003

  3. Hi,
    Take the next logical step - sell all those lenses, adapters, filters etc.
    etc. and get something like a Nikon 5700 or Minolta A1 - you'll find you
    have even more freedom!

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 17, 2003
  4. fmt

    Canopus Guest

    Yep, they exist. I picked one up from a garage for £5 on offer if I bought
    £6+ of fuel, but, they are quite common. It can be worn slung over your
    shoulder and across your back with a waist strap so it is a bit like a
    rucksack which makes it easy to wear for walking, climbing etc., or just
    over one shoulder as in shoulder bag or my favorite over one shoulder facing
    forward for easy access. The straps have Velcro fastenings in the middle
    making it easy to put on and adjust and are very secure.

    They are very common, you should find them easily if you visit some shops.

    Rob

    Canopus, Dec 17, 2003
  5. fmt

    Roger Guest

    Trev,

    Have you considered a briefcase style bag, perhaps thinner than your
    Billingham. Domke makes one that is a single component wide, the 803
    satchel, it is narrow and not too deep and will hold a fair amount of
    gear. It hangs close to the body and I like it especially for
    maneuvering in crowds, has a long adjustable strap and can be worn as
    a messenger bag. The flap has a single snap and "D" ring for quick
    access with a single hand. I've used one all over the world and it's
    secure and maneuverable. When I want to really load up and get things
    on my back, it fits well with a computer and other gear in a typical
    day pack.

    Just my thoughts,
    Regards,
    Roger

    Roger, Dec 17, 2003
  6. fmt

    RogM Guest

    For the Domke camera bags, an over-the-shoulder harness is available
    that converts these into a rucksack of sorts. At least the heavy bag
    doesn't have to be carried on the shoulder all day--never a pleasant
    ordeal. The bag is carried low on the back and seems comfortable
    enough.

    RogM, Dec 17, 2003
  7. Hi, Trev,

    Does this make any sense? You have no need for the large shoulder bag that
    worked quite well for you, and you are thinking of getting a backpack that
    you can't get to your gear in?
    You're going to lose the practical benefits of your current shoulder bag
    with the gear right there on top, easily accessible. Here in the States,
    the latest trend is courier bags. They are made to carry by placing your
    head through the one strap so that the strap is on your right shoulder (for
    example), with the bag hanging on your left side. You can slide the bag
    behind you for carrying out of the way, but slip it around to the side or
    even in front for convenient access to the contents. Some offer padded
    compartments. I have one that has an additional strap that goes around my
    torso to keep the bag from flopping around if I'm bending over or jumping
    around on an anthill or whatever.

    Use your favorite search engine and see if any are available locally in
    your area.

    Phil Stripling, Dec 17, 2003
  8. fmt

    Alan Browne Guest

    If you park your car (or park your house) and then walk short distances
    (say 2 km out, 2 km back) over relatively level terrain, then a shoulder
    bag is okay. If you walk further, or climb hills, then a backpack sytle
    is much more comfortable (and probably safer depending on the climb
    terrain).

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Dec 17, 2003
  9. fmt

    Frank ess Guest

    My solution, not always perfect, is the "fanny pack" belt four-compartment
    pouch carried in front for the items I might require without much notice
    (fresh card, battery, tele convertor, etc.), and a back pack for the
    remainder of the gear (second camera, mini-pod, sunscreen, spare clothing,
    hat, etc).

    My problem is finding a way to haul around a full-size tripod. I don't mind
    the weight, and I won't carry it far, but while I do take those few or few
    hundred steps, it clanks and flops disagreeably, even dangerously, when I
    try to move around with the front and back packs, and the tripod, while
    attempting to keep a camera at the ready.

    Frank ess, Dec 17, 2003
  10. fmt

    mamet Guest

    I beleive you can have both. Nikon makes bags that can be worn as a backpack
    or as regular shoulder bag.

    Marko

    mamet, Dec 17, 2003
  11. fmt

    Alan Browne Guest

    I have a LowePro 5 and an accessory harness to convert it to a backpack.
    It is a very poor backpack arrangement.

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Dec 17, 2003
  12. fmt

    Al Dykes Guest

    I've used what's called a messenger bag. (evolved from the largish
    over-the-shoulder bags that bike and motorcycle messengers have used
    for years. They are classically tailored to hang comfortably with the
    strap diagnally over the body and the bag on your back. I like it
    hanging from my left shoulder and I have to try them in the store to
    get one that works like that.

    The flap is soft nylon and can be folded back and tucked out of the
    way if you want real fast access to what's in your bag. For less
    frequent access I can just reach under the flap for what I want. With
    the flap closed it doesn't look like a camera bag (but it may look
    like a laptop so theft is still an issue.)

    See this random URL for a coulple of pictures;

    http://www.snowtraders.com/cat/BAGS/Urban+Packs/Messenger+Bags/

    Al Dykes, Dec 18, 2003
  13. I searched the Web and found a company that makes "left-handed" bags:
    http://www.chromebags.com/
    Mine is _not_ a camera bag with built-in padding, but it's very accessible,
    and I can provide the padding myself. Note that the bags are shown as 6
    inches 'deep.' This means cameras are not the designed cargo for these
    bags.

    Phil Stripling, Dec 18, 2003