    Brian

    All you have to do is intall the new version. You wont lose
    settings, it will use the same ones you have now.

    dantu, Oct 8, 2003

  2. alabaster

    A Hess Guest

    Stardate 10/7/03 5:50 PM, Brian sat a million monkeys at a million
    typewriters and produced the following:
    No way. People always say "It's so tough to learn, I'm used to IE" Well,
    in the beginning you learned to use IE, There's a learning curve for
    everything. Just install a fresh build and all your prefs will carry
    over. If you're afraid, back up your prefs folder. You can even install
    Mozilla in a different directory, keeping the old one for backup. After
    using it a while, learning the ins and outs, you'll see how IE is just a
    little Tonka truck, and Mozilla is the jacked-up Chevy that squashes
    spyware & pop-ups like the vermin they are. Good Luck, Aron

    A Hess, Oct 8, 2003

  3. alabaster

    Ed Mullen Guest

    If you're interested in trying a program that has made major advances
    since your current version the answer is yes. However, given your
    statements I recommend installing ONLY a release, not a nightly.

    Without knowing your system comfiguration I can only offer a general
    suggestion. To minimize any hassles in the upgrade:

    1. Download Mozilla 1.5rc2 (Release Candidate 2)
    2. Backup your entire profile folder tree (do NOT delete)
    3. Backup your Mozilla\plugins folder
    4. Uninstall (Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs) your current Mozilla
    5. Manually delete the Mozilla program folder tree (typically
    x:\Program Files\mozilla.org)
    (6. For the truly paranoid, run a registry cleaner like Norton Win Doctor.)
    (7. For the truly paranoid, reboot.)
    8. Install the new Mozilla 1.5rc2 - it should automically find your
    older profile(s) from Mozilla, Netscape 4.x, Netscape 6.x, and NS 7.X
    9. Run the program and see if it's working ok. If so, exit the program
    and copy your old plugins back into the x:\program
    files\Mozilla.org\mozilla\plugins folder.
    10. If you were using any Mozilla program extensions (add-on functions
    like Pref Toolbar, etc.) you will need to download/install them into the
    new installation.
    NOTE - You will not need to install an add-on spell checker, one comes
    with version 1.5rc2.

    This procedure will NOT harm your existing profiles (email, settings,
    etc.) and you'll have a backup as well. I do this on a regular basis
    and it works just fine.

    --
    Ed Mullen - Mozilla Champion
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Oct 8, 2003
  4. Hey Brian,

    Your profile, which contains all your settings, is kept separate from
    your program files. When you uninstall and install a newer version, all
    those settings are preserved!

    1.2.1 is ancient history by Moz terms. I would take a look, at thte
    moment, at 1.5 RC2. I would hope that we will see a 1.5 release within
    the next week. Give it a whirl! If it doesn't work, you can go back to
    1.2.1, and your profile will remaoin untouched.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 8, 2003