    spaces to Adobe RGB? Is there an intrinsic advantage to using Adobe RGB
    which as I understand is a larger gamut than sRGB.
    Thanks.

    Editor www.nutritionsoftware.org, Jun 23, 2004

  2. Editor  www.nutritionsoftware.org

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: "Editor www.nutritionsoftware.org"
    It makes sense if you're going to output the files on a device that can take
    advantage of the wider gamut, like a good inkjet printer or a LightJet. On the
    other hand if you're going to put the images on the web or print on smaller
    gamut machines like most of the Frontier-type printers used by Costco, etc then
    it doesn't matter and it's probably less hassle to stay in sRGB.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jun 23, 2004

  3. Editor  www.nutritionsoftware.org

    Jim Guest

    Yes, and the larger gamut is the reason.
    Jim

    Jim, Jun 23, 2004
  4. If it has a larger gamut, how come it ends up looking less full of
    colour when viewed on a monitor? Is it because there is now more
    colours that fall outside the monitors range, or because the colours
    being more spread out dont have as much impact that a more
    compressed/limited range would have?

    On my monitor I can see a visual and notable difference when I choose
    sRGB and then Adobe RGB, then back again.... I'm also interested in
    whether there is a difference in resultant print depending on which is
    assigned/converted to the file to be printed, or is this all down to
    the software used to print and how it interpritates/converts to the
    final printed gamut/profile?

    Jon

    Jonathan Wilson, Jun 23, 2004
  5. Editor  www.nutritionsoftware.org

    eawckyegcy Guest

    The gamut is larger, but not by a huge margin:

    http://www.brucelindbloom.com

    Clink "Info", then on "Information about RGB Working Sets".

    Whether you should use the Adobe space or sRGB depends. For example,
    if all your images are going to be viewed on sRGB monitors, then at
    some point all that "extra information" will have to be "removed".
    Would you like the camera to do this at image collection time (at zero
    time cost to you), or would you like to do it post-exposure in
    PhotoSlop?

    eawckyegcy, Jun 23, 2004
  6. Editor  www.nutritionsoftware.org

    Warren Jones Guest

    OK, so if only a monitor is involved, then you suggest using sRGB in-camera
    setting; what about outputting to an Epson Photo inkjet as the prime use of
    the colour space, again from PS. (Given the difficulties of colour matching
    between monitor and printer). Further thoughts on this challenging topic??

    Warren Jones, Jun 24, 2004