Should I erase my memory card after every download?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill, May 29, 2005.

  1. Bill

    Mr. Mark Guest

    Iremember, a few years ago, when the question of whether to buy cards
    Yes, it actually is. :)

    I think it's the way I shoot digital as opposed to how I shoot film. I tend
    to take much more time and thought before pushing the button when film is
    being consumed. Four hours on a nature costs me about 2 rolls of film or 72
    photos. But only 2 hours on the same trail with a digital in hand will
    easily produce 280+ photos.

    In either case I'm sort of in a creative zone - controlling the camera
    manually comes naturally after 4 years of practice, but paying attention to
    the # of images left isn't really part of my natural work flow.
    Losing a card over a bridge or in the water has been a very real fear of
    mine since I use those paper light Sony mem sticks.. So far so good -
    haven't lost one in 4 years. This is never a problem with my Canon compact
    which has a 500mb card in it. I use the compact to shoot reference photos
    while I'm shooting film and also to shoot snaps that I wouldn't burn film
    on.

    Mr. Mark, Jun 2, 2005

  2. Bill

    Mr. Mark Guest

    Earlier, you said your film camera told you how many shots were left;
    My film camera does so without having to look through the view finder.
    Someone will say "use the LCD on the back" but you can't see it in the day
    time so it's useless. As I mentioned, and optional audible indicator would
    be nice. Just have it beep at me when there are X photos left. This way I
    don't need to use my left brain when shooting.
    If I had bigger cards it wouldn't be such a problem. I get about 50-60
    shots on a card and have 5 cards.

    Really it hasn't been a major problem as far as volume, but the few times
    it's happened have been REALLY disappointing.

    Not as bad as when my Canon Rebel 2000 wouldn't take a shot because it
    thought it wasn't in focus.. grrr.. that only happened once, but it was a
    once in a lifetime chance lost and it made me want to cry. :)

    Mr. Mark, Jun 2, 2005

  3. Bill

    Mr. Mark Guest

    I don't really know why it would add to the price, anyway. What does video
    It requires engineers, development time, system testing, etc. Nothing is
    free.
    Cost is coming down because of mass production.

    Mr. Mark, Jun 2, 2005
  4. Bill

    Mr. Mark Guest

    I believe it detracts from the because the aditional features add to the
    For example, I can't afford a Canon 1D Mk II. So I'm living without that
    functionality. The camera is functional, but the price keeps it out of the
    hands of people who might not need all the features.

    Just like cell phones. Everyone thinks they're free, but the price is just
    built into the monthly service charge. The phone company wouldn't give
    phones away if they weren't making gobs of profit else where. My phone has
    crazy stuff like email, games, web browsing, etc.. But I don't want all
    that. It was the cheapest phone available on my network. I want to be able
    to dial a few numbers and have someone pick up on the other end.

    I feel the same way with a still camera. They don't do video very well, but
    it does cost to add the feature, so I end up paying for something I don't
    want. If it was a firmware issue then they should sell the camera with
    basic firmware and then charge an extra fee for people who want the extra
    feature.
    That's because the sales have gone through the roof. Late adopters are now
    buying digital. The adoption curve is getting very steep very fast. Mass
    market means mass production and economy of scale. Plus, the technology is
    become quite mature - companies are getting good at building the cams for
    less.

    IMO, anything that get's more people interested in photography is a good
    thing. Finally decent quality SLR's are on the market for reasonable
    prices. It can only get better from here. But I'll always enjoy shooting
    black and white film. There is an intangible quality to fine prints that I
    haven't seen duplicated in digital yet.

    So for me it's both - digital and film will live side by side in my kit bag
    for a long time to come.

    Mr. Mark, Jun 2, 2005
  5. Bill

    Mr. Mark Guest

    Carry a small voice recorder. Does anyone actually use voice
    annotation?
    I made a voice annotation once so I would remember where I was when I took
    the pick, but now I just push the save button on the GPS.
    Hmm.. From an artist's perspective post processing is a must. The original
    file is more like the negative than the final print. For basic image
    manipulation, there isn't much you can do in a dry dark room than a wet dark
    room - even the names of the tools in Photoshop are based on their
    counterparts in the wet room.

    I do agree that digital image manipulation is MUCH more accessible, and
    certainly much cheaper - you don't have to burn a sheet of paper just to get
    a test print, instead you can make changes to different layers to compare
    differences. And most people wouldn't want an enlarger in their second
    bathroom, or the smell of chemicals, or the pain of working in total
    darkness. All these things are a pain, but sometimes the process that is
    the most difficult can be the most rewarding. That's the artist in me
    talking.

    Now if I'm shooting for money - I have a totally different take. Digital
    work flow means much more output which means much more money. ;)

    Mr. Mark, Jun 2, 2005
  6. Bill

    Mr. Mark Guest

    So now do you see the irony? Do you get the joke?
    you're the only one complaining.
    hmm.. well that's as bad as I can get, so I guess you're stuck with me. <g>

    Mr. Mark, Jun 2, 2005
  7. Bill

    Mr. Mark Guest

    But this means you have missed the point of my challenge to Ron. Not to
    I can't name 1 advantage to an auto trany. I drive a manual. ;)
    This is what I wrote to Ron.
    I fill up all 5 256mb cards (about 300-350 photos) in just a few hours of
    shooting. I take my laptop with me if I plan to shoot all day. What's the
    advantage of digital? That it doesn't use film? That's the /only/
    advantage of digital.
    <<

    See? Of course there is no possible answer. I wasn't trying to start a D
    vs. F debate. It's the art that counts.
    YES! You got it. :)

    Mr. Mark, Jun 2, 2005
  8. Bill

    Mr. Mark Guest

    Your film camera's audible indicator is too late: you're already out
    Yes. If all my books weren't packed for my move I'd provide a sub-chapter
    from Alan Cooper's "About Face", a book about user interface design. The
    sub-chapter focuses on using sounds to indicate more than just success and
    failure states, but normal states as well.
    One day soon I won't have to worry so much about this. Big card, new
    camera.. just around the corner.. I'm getting psyched. :)

    Mr. Mark, Jun 2, 2005
  9. Bill

    ASAAR Guest

    Not true. Since this isn't an audio based medium I have to
    awkwardly say that you saw the complaints but they went in one eye
    and out the other.

    And you with me, my fine furred, belled cat. :)

    ASAAR, Jun 2, 2005
  10. I don't see how you can say this. You can compare differences on the
    monitor all day but until you print a print you don't know just how it
    will look. You may also print the same image on different papers
    looking for just the prefect expression.

    You can look at the screen forever but until you lay pigment down on
    paper you don't have it.

    "The condition of civil affairs in Texas is anomalous,
    singular, and unsatisfactory."

    Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sherdan
    Bvt. Maj. Gen. John A. Rawlins
    November 14, 1866

    John A. Stovall, Jun 2, 2005
  11. Bill

    Nostrobino Guest

    Sure. But all that doesn't have to be done over and over for each new model,
    I shouldn't think. Basically video uses what's already going to be in the
    camera anyway, doesn't it? The lens doesn't change, the sensor doesn't
    change, the metering, autofocusing and viewing systems don't change. It just
    doesn't seem to me that anything substantial has to be added.

    Well, of course. :)

    N.

    Nostrobino, Jun 2, 2005
  12. Bill

    Confused Guest

    Sheesh. Is he still ranting? I thought I killfiled him days ago...
    He's trolling using double talk and "just having some fun".
    IOW A jerk.

    Jeff

    Confused, Jun 3, 2005
  13. Bill

    Mr. Mark Guest

    I can't speak for camera development, but I have been involved in the design
    of several products over the years and each new version requires more
    engineering time than the previous. Thank goodness or I'd be out of a job,
    right? :)

    Mr. Mark, Jun 3, 2005
  14. Bill

    Mr. Mark Guest

    Sure, that's true to a point, but I think after some time working with your
    equipment you would have a pretty good idea of how the screen will translate
    to the printer. I don't print a lot of my digital photos, but the ones I do
    usually look the way I want them to on the first print - second print at the
    most. Also, I'm not making "fine art" with my desktop printer, but it does
    a pretty good job on premium photo paper. This will change by the end of
    the year and once I'm using the desktop system for production I will post
    something about it and you will be able to tell me "I told you so!" :)

    By contrast, making B&W prints in the dark room (which is what I have
    experience with, not color) takes several prints just to plan the final
    print. It's very time consuming, fairly expensive compared to fuzting
    around on the screen.

    Mr. Mark, Jun 3, 2005
  15. Bill

    Mr. Mark Guest

    hmm.. well that's as bad as I can get, so I guess you're stuck with me.
    You seem like a reasonable person so I think we'll probably learn to play
    together :)
    Ouch, my one good eye hurts.

    Mr. Mark, Jun 3, 2005
  16. Bill

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    That seems like a great many pictures - are you really using a cine?
    More than 2 shots each and every minute is a lot. How much of this
    time is actually spent walking?

    Neil Ellwood, Jun 3, 2005
  17. Bill

    malc Guest

    I also own a F717, never had a problem with it. What type of problems
    did these six people have?
    I don't tend to use the camera much now (got a D70 too) but I'm tempted
    to lend it to a friend, I would be hesitant to do this if I thought that
    it was going to cause problems!

    Malc

    malc, Jun 3, 2005
  18. That's the difference "fine" verse "pretty good job".

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Jun 3, 2005
  19. Bill

    Mr. Mark Guest

    That seems like a great many pictures - are you really using a cine?
    It seems like more than it is. With digital I'm more likely to bracket,
    take maybe 5 photos of one subject, etc. It is very fast to explore a
    subject, snapping quite a bit - it's more of a shotgun approach. I don't do
    this with film. These differences aren't really at a concious level for me,
    they just happen this way.

    Mr. Mark, Jun 3, 2005
  20. Bill

    Mr. Mark Guest

    You're the first person I've encountered that didn't. Seriously. I've
    Shutter problems, every one had focus problems (only 1 of them was the low
    light issue covered by the recall), one had zoom problems, one had a
    complete system meltdown (camera just stopped working electronically).

    My problems started when I discovered a living insect inside the lens. The
    engineers at Sony said this was impossible. So I sent it to service. Where
    the idiots upgraded the firmware to fix the "bug". I sent it back and they
    replaced the lens. Within 2 weeks of getting it back the lens stopped
    focusing when not at the wide end of the zoom. Sent it back again. When it
    returned the image quality was poor - very noisey like ISO 800, but at all
    ISO settings. Sent it back again.

    Now it's out of warranty and there's fungus growing in the lens.
    I wouldn't worry if you never had a problem. I think most of the problems
    were on the early production runs and I just got a lemon.

    My real issue is with the service people and Sony. They were amazingly
    obnoxious and rude, and dumb - really, really dumb.

    Mr. Mark, Jun 3, 2005