    to my desktop as NON-shortcuts?

    I'm just curious. I don't have any real urgent need, but I'd like to know
    what's up with this. Both my sisters desktop and my laptop are by Dell.

    Patrick D. Rockwell, Jun 24, 2004

  2. Patrick D. Rockwell

    Scraggy Guest

    Download Tweakui for XP, install, one of the things it does, amongst many ,
    is show/hide the arrow

    Scraggy, Jun 24, 2004

  3. Control Panel -> Display -> Desktop -> Customize Desktop - Desktop Icons

    Jack B. Pollack, Jun 24, 2004
  4. Ok, thanks. But for my technical information about Windows XP, can anyone
    tell me what the
    difference is between a shortcut and Non-shortcut on the Windows XP desktop?
    Why would
    America On-Line 9.0 be entered on my desktop as a Non-shortcut? Does the
    location where
    the program is stored make the difference, or is it just the way the program
    is written?

    Patrick D. Rockwell, Jun 25, 2004
  5. Patrick D. Rockwell

    Scraggy Guest

    Scraggy, Jun 25, 2004
  6. Patrick D. Rockwell

    ProfGene Guest

    If it is not a shortcut it might be the install program for AOL's software.

    ProfGene, Jun 26, 2004
  7. Patrick D. Rockwell

    madmax Guest

    There is a program called Tweak UI that you can use to
    change the arrow overlay. Google for XP Power Toys.
    -max

    --
    To help you stay safe see:
    http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html

    madmax, Jun 27, 2004
  8. It just says "America Online" and when I click on it, it loads up AOL 9.0.

    Patrick D. Rockwell, Jun 28, 2004
  9. Yes, thanks. Scraggy gave me the URL. But in technical terms, what is the
    difference between
    a shortcut, and a nonshortcut that appears on the desktop? Does Tweek UI
    actually change the
    shortcut into a non-shortcut, or does it just change the icon? Just curious.

    Patrick D. Rockwell, Jun 28, 2004
  10. Patrick D. Rockwell

    DarthGates Guest

    | Yes, thanks. Scraggy gave me the URL. But in technical terms, what is the
    | difference between
    | a shortcut, and a nonshortcut that appears on the desktop? Does Tweek UI
    | actually change the
    | shortcut into a non-shortcut, or does it just change the icon? Just curious.

    A shortcut can be deleted- non-shortcut can not be deleted it can only be hidden.
    Does Tweak UI No/Yes .

    DarthGates, Jun 28, 2004
  11. Patrick D. Rockwell

    madmax Guest

    I believe the small arrow is called an overlay. All of those colorful
    "things" on your desktop...what do you think they are?
    -max

    madmax, Jul 1, 2004
  12. Well, I found out exactly what the difference is between shortcuts and
    non-shortcuts. Any
    program that is moved into the DESKTOP directory won't have that little
    arrow. I thought
    it had to do with the way the program was written. Unfortunately, you can't
    just move ANY
    program there, becuase most of them won't be able to find their accessory
    files. I tried it with
    MusicMatch. For the most part, it ran ok, but I got an error message when it
    started. I don't
    remember exactly what it said.

    Patrick D. Rockwell, Jul 4, 2004
  13. Patrick D. Rockwell

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Shortcuts are links to the programs. You can have them anywhere. The program
    belongs where it was installed. You move the program, it may not work
    correctly. You make a shortcut (which normally will have the arrow) it is a
    "link" to the program. So MS put the little arrow there to tell you it's a
    link, not the actual program. Since some of the icons on your dekstop (My
    Computer, My Documents, Recycle Bin, etc.) are special icons made
    specifically by MS, they chose not to put the arrow on them. And if you want
    the little arrow off all the rest, you can do that too with Tweak UI.

    And stop moving your program files around before you damage something ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Jul 4, 2004