Short term Internet access in New Zealand

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by David Bailey, Feb 16, 2007.

  1. David Bailey

    David Bailey Guest

    Hi,
    Does anyone have any recommendations for short term Internet access in New
    Zealand?

    We will be in NZ for about 10 days or so in April, traveling around the
    North island.

    I would expect our total access time would be < 20 hours.

    On a previous trip, several years ago, I signed up with iHug for one of
    their unlimited monthly plans and canceled it at the same time, thus
    giving me 1 months access. That was a bit messy, and I was concerned that
    the account wouldn't be canceled correctly (it was though).

    Do the NZ ISPs have prepaid cards like they do here in Australia? That
    would probably be my preference if possible.

    If so:
    where do you get them from
    what are they likely to cost / features

    As I recall iHug had a national dialup number, and I understand most of
    the others did as well. This would be a requirement this time as well.

    There has been some mention that many / most Motels charge by the minute
    for these national number calls. Is that correct? As I recall, last time
    they were just a fixed cost call (< $1).

    David Bailey, Feb 16, 2007

  2. David Bailey

    Ross Guest

    You could check Actrix.
    Looks like $2 fee plus 1 cent/min for dial-up.
    http://www.actrix.co.nz/domestic/dialup/index.php#cyberbyte1

    Ross, Feb 17, 2007

  3. David Bailey

    meh Guest

    I've used Kiwi Online temporarly.

    $9.95 a month, when done just stop paying and your account will be
    cancelled.

    www.kol.co.nz

    meh, Feb 17, 2007
  4. World net it appears have prepaid cards for dialup access, however I'm not
    sure how great their service is though.

    http://www.worldnet.co.nz/personal/prepaid/
    There does not seem to be any consistancy in this area as most NZ hotels
    and motels I've personally found tend to set their own charging rates so
    it will pay to check with the accomodation provider

    TyphoonTycoon, Feb 17, 2007
  5. David Bailey

    Blue Guest

    Blue, Feb 18, 2007