Shopping for small business VoIP == flea market?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by chuckgoffman, Aug 15, 2006.

  1. chuckgoffman

    chuckgoffman Guest

    I have a phone-based business idea I've been trying to implement in
    the United States revolving around domestic calls.

    I'd like to buy a number of 8xx DIDs and buy minutes in a pay-as-you-go
    arrangement. I'd start with a dozen numbers, doing a few thousand
    minutes a month, and hope to grow to hundreds of DIDs and bill
    250k-750k minutes a month.

    I'm definitely going to use Asterisk for the PBX side of things. Clunky
    and confusing as it can be, Asterisk is worth the pain and can probably
    do anything, even if I have to write the code myself. I feel secure in
    my answer there.

    But I'm getting increasingly discouraged while trying to set up and use
    small-fry business-focused VoIP services. The prices are often great,
    but voice quality and consistency are often erratic, customer service
    overwhelmed, confused, or simply not available. I get the sense that
    everyone is oversold and understaffed.

    (I can name names if it is required, but really I don't want to
    badmouth any of the five providers I've tried. I have yet to spend real
    money with these guys or do much more than experiment. I'm frankly
    astonished that these guys can make money at all. But I do feel
    confident that my experiences are typical, even maybe leaning toward
    the "good" side of the typical experience. It just isn't adequate.)

    I'm willing to spent more than $0.02/minute for US domestic calls. I'm
    willing to spend more than $5/month for an 800 DID. I'd happily double
    all those figures if it meant I could actually get good quality
    service. I might well go higher, although at some point the original
    model breaks down and my idea is no longer profitable.

    I do realize going with VoIP does mean reduced quality somewhere. Lag,
    compression, etc. I would happily accept less than perfect voice
    quality if I could count on that service being reliable (at that
    degraded-but-consistent quality level) and available, and with support.

    Who are the larger providers all the small-fry are reselling? Would any
    be willing to deal with me while I'm small, charging accordingly, with
    price breaks as my volume grew? Who should I be talking to, if anyone?

    At what point should I stop looking at VoIP and start looking at TDM?
    How much is TDM likely to cost me for the figures I quote above?

    I do want to do all my own PBX work, by the way -- the business depends
    on this fine-grained control. The managed VoIP/PBX systems are not for
    me.

    Thanks for any help.

    Chuck

    chuckgoffman, Aug 15, 2006

  2. <snip>

    You might look into www.les.net and www.exgn.net.

    Jonathan Roberts, Aug 17, 2006

  3. chuckgoffman

    petebed

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    small business voip

    If you are looking for a small business voip provider I would suggest look at Easy Office Phone (easyofficephone.com) as they provide hosted pbx solutions and sip trunking services for trixbox/asterisk etc. I have not used them for very long (only a couple weeks) but I think they are good.

    petebed, Sep 18, 2009
  4. chuckgoffman

    vvvvvoip

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    voip providers

    There are several advantages using VoIP including the availability of advanced features that standard telephone systems are not capable of and the ability to have a phone number usually associated with a particular local area anywhere in the world.
    voip-catalog.com
    voip providers

    vvvvvoip, Jan 21, 2010