    Or is it because I'm looking at quite a large sized enlargement of the
    original picture?

    Should I try a fixed focal length lens and if so, what type?

    Edward Holt, May 17, 2004

  2. Edward Holt

    Mikey S. Guest

    Your images should look quite sharp viewed on the screen, unless your zoomed
    right into the individual pixel level. Can you post some examples someplace
    to compare?

    The 18-55 EF-S lens that comes with the camera is actually quite good
    optically ( though cheaply built) and you should be quite happy with the
    sharpness you get using it, provided your focus is correct and you have it
    somewhat stopped down. You can certainly get better lenses ( I have a few
    'L' lenses that I use most often), but the kit lens is sharp and you should
    not have problems using it.

    The camera's sharpness setting may be incorrect too, you can set it to leave
    the images unsharpened and they will look soft, but the intent is to sharpen
    them afterwards with your photo editing software..or you can set the camera
    to sharpen them automatically as you take them, which works well for
    snapshots but gives you less creative ability later on. Read the manual and
    check what settings your using.

    Mikey S., May 17, 2004

  3. While generally the best prime lenses will be sharper then the best zoom
    lenses, there is a lot of overlap. Some zooms are better than some primes
    and under the conditions you describe it should not be a problem. There are
    many factors that figure in so I suggest following Mikey's advice.

    Joseph Meehan, May 17, 2004
  4. Edward Holt

    jean Guest

    On a 19" monitor, you are looking at the equivalent of a 30" wide print so
    focus and lens quality are very important. It is also very easy to see all
    the defects at that size. If you get bad results with the kit lens, make
    sure the focus is done where you want it by selecting the proper focus point
    (center is best).

    If you want to try a fixed focus lens, the Canon 50mm f1,8 is very good
    considering it's price. I find it a bit long for indoor shots because of
    the crop or multiplication factor which makes it an 80mm lens. The depth of
    field at 1,8 is quite shallow when shooting close up so while you may think
    the lens has not focused properly, you may have moved ever so slightly and
    thrown the focus out.

    Jean

    PS If you use photoshop, there is a free plugin to sharpen your pictures at
    http://www.ultrasharpen.com/ (ultrasharpen lite is the free version)

    jean, May 17, 2004
  5. Edward Holt

    bagal Guest

    its gotta be addition modulo 31
    if it was modulo 32 the answer would be zero

    bagal, May 17, 2004

  6. You should. Start with a secondhand Canon 50mm f/1.8. It's very cheap and
    very sharp from f/4 on. This way you'll know for sure whether it's your lens
    or some other issue causing the 'blur'. Here's a 10D capture (same sensor as
    300D) taken handheld at f/4 with a 50mm f/1.8 ...
    http://www.pbase.com/image/22617657/original ... this looks fine to me on a
    my 19" CRT.
    BTW if you really like the 50mm f/1.8 sell it and get the f/1.4 - much nicer
    bokeh and faster AF too

    Simon Stanmore, May 17, 2004
  7. If though I was a math major, it is more historic/political. 26
    Counties of the Republic (The South) and 6 Counties of the North equal one
    whole country, people and island as it was before the English

    Joseph Meehan, May 17, 2004
  8. Edward Holt

    Mikey S. Guest

    Nice image..you should show it to a guy named Preddy who hangs around here,
    he swears he has never seen a sharp full size image from a 10D or 300D, only
    from a Sigma.
    Oh and I second the recommendation on that 50mm F1.8, it's an excellent lens
    for the money, I use mine for available light shooting frequently and the
    only complaint I have is that lens feels like a $70 dollar lens..oh wait, it
    IS a $70 lens..but shh, don't tell the optics inside, they are excellent.
    --

    Mikey S.
    http://www.mike721.com

    '. Here's a 10D capture (same sensor as

    Mikey S., May 17, 2004
  9. It has been shown to 'Preddy', he still claims to have only seen blurry
    images. Why doesn't that surprise me...?

    Here is a review between the f/1.8 and the f/1.4, which corresponds with my
    findings:
    http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/ef50/

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, May 17, 2004
  10. the picture is only 45K. with that much jpeg compression
    it's impossible to evaluate the amount of "noise" in the
    original shot.

    dave

    Bay Area Dave, May 17, 2004
  11. Edward Holt

    bagal Guest

    slangsh

    bagal, May 17, 2004
  12. Edward Holt

    bagal Guest

    Simon - that is one edible image

    cool!

    bagal, May 17, 2004
  13.
    Joseph Meehan, May 17, 2004
  14. Edward Holt

    bagal Guest

    it is usually said with a large whiskey in one hand usually in appreciative
    company :)

    bagal, May 17, 2004
  15. Edward Holt

    Esmond Guest

    Slainte or more correctly sláinte.

    Esmond

    Esmond, May 17, 2004
  16. Edward Holt

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Have you considered the quality of the monitor? I viewed some of my
    pictures on my brother-in-law's computer while visiting, and was very
    unimpressed with the results. I thought my camera was going bad until I
    got home and looked at them on my monitor. They were sharp and clear as
    I had come to expect. Eliminate the monitor as a factor before looking
    further.

    Ron Hunter, May 17, 2004
  17. I hate to tell you this, but it is purely the function of poor
    performance: (1) too few MPs berfore interpolation--only 1.5MP, (2)
    poor AF system, (3) very soft Canon CMOS, and (4) way overly
    aggressive Canon noise reduction due to old sensor technology really
    needing it--this removes noise but it also removes most of the optical
    detail within that noise.

    Georgette Preddy, May 18, 2004
  18. Edward Holt

    Edward Holt Guest

    Thanks Guys - loads of good advice.
    I'll take the cheap option of trying to adjust the cameras sharpness setting
    first of all and see how it goes.
    Is there any downside to this?
    The lens multiplication factor of 1.6x is getting really annoying as I would
    quite happily buy a standard 50mm lens, but it will turn into something more
    like a portrait lens.

    Edward Holt, May 18, 2004
  19. Edward Holt

    m Ransley Guest

    But what Georgy P forgot to say was the Truth.
    Foveon - Sigma SD 10 , is no better , its another reason. Or its
    digital at the limit of what you have, and a better Canon will fix it.

    m Ransley, May 18, 2004
  20. you cretin! the issue is jpeg compression.

    dave

    Bay Area Dave, May 18, 2004