Sharpen, reduce noise, in-camera, ugh!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DaveC, Feb 19, 2006.

  1. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    Hi,

    I have been online looking at the images from some digital cameras and
    reading reviews. Some of the "better" cameras have relatively soft images -
    which is explained as being the result of in-camera noise filtering. Some
    of the cheaper (and / or more compact) camera images look relatively
    sharper - but that is explained as being the result of in-camera sharpening.

    This situation discourages me from buying a new digital camera.

    I would like to have a camera that does minimal filtering but still saves
    images in some low-loss compressed format. I would like to sharpen and/or
    reduce noise using image processing programs on my computer - after the
    fact, as I choose.

    Any ideas, suggested links to information? Can one turn down or turn off
    image filtering on any modestly priced compact cameras?

    I would prefer a compact or sub-compact camera. I am tired of carrying
    around an old SLR.

    Thanks,

    DaveC

    DaveC, Feb 19, 2006

  2. Some compact cameras support RAW formats, which would let you do all of
    the image processing after downloading to your computer. Off-hand, a
    few models: Canon S70, Canon G6, Panasonic LX1, a bunch of Fuji
    cameras, etc.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Feb 19, 2006

  3. Get a camera that allows you the option of saving the RAW sensor data
    then you can control the sharpening, etc yourself.

    "A combat photographer should be able to make you see the
    color of blood in black and white"

    David Douglas Duncan
    Speaking on why in Vietnam
    he worked only in black and white
    http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/online/ddd/

    John A. Stovall, Feb 19, 2006
  4. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions about "raw". I knew about raw, but I always
    thought that the raw format is really, really bulky. Maybe with the new 1
    gig storage cards this isn't such a problem anymore.

    Do any cameras let you automatically store in raw, then let you review your
    images, in the camera, and decide to re-store the less important images in
    ..jpg? - and delete the raw to save space? I probably would like to preserve
    the raw version for only 10% of my pictures.

    Dave C

    DaveC, Feb 20, 2006
  5. Storage is cheap. Some spot-checking indicates that RAW formats run
    about 1-2 bytes/pixel, depending on manufacturer (highest-quality JPG
    tends to be 0.5 bytes/pixel or thereabouts). Even in the worst case
    scenario for file size, you can still fit fiftyish pictures on a 1
    gig card.
    There are some cameras that can save RAW + JPG. I would assume that such
    cameras allow for deleting one or the other, but I don't have any
    first-hand knowledge of that.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Feb 20, 2006
  6. DaveC

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Whatever the pro's and con's of raw mode it doesn't come with many lower
    priced models. Since most images benefit from some degree of post
    processing, sharpening isn't that much of an issue.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Feb 20, 2006
  7. DaveC

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Actually, RAW takes up somewhat less storage space than .TIFF. It is
    fairly compact, but still takes much more space than .jpg format. You
    pays your money, and you takes your choice....

    John A. Stovall, Feb 20, 2006
  9. DaveC

    ASAAR Guest

    Yes, but sorry, I don't recall the camera. I read a mini-review
    recently of one that did allow copies to be made within the camera
    using one of the alternative jpg formats. You might find it if you
    check the most recent "news" articles at dpreview.com but I can't
    guarantee it.

    [from your previous message]
    It's not unusual to have a choice of these options in P&S cameras.
    My Fuji S5100 has menu options allowing you to select sharpness
    settings among Hard, Normal and Soft, and it (as well as many other
    P&S cameras) allows for a choice of less or more jpg compression. I
    very rarely take pictures using RAW, but I suppose it would be very
    useful in situations having lighting that's unusual, non-uniform or
    changing. The most convenient place to see whether a particular
    camera has sharpening options would be dpreview.com's full reviews.
    If it's not mentioned there, someone in this newsgroup that has the
    camera might provide that information, or you could download the
    camera's manual from the manufacturer's website.

    ASAAR, Feb 20, 2006