Sharing printers

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Sanford Aranoff, Feb 20, 2010.

  1. XP SP3, desktop connected to a printer and the Internet via
    a router with a cable. Everything is fine.

    My wife has a laptop. Gets Internet wireless fine.

    I set up a network for the printer, and she was able to
    print from her computer. My computer is on, and she is
    wireless. Everything is fine.

    Suddenly she cannot print, although I can. She thinks that
    she plugged her computer into the router with the cable and
    this may have caused the problem. This does not seem logical
    to me.

    I am trying to reset things, but am not sure what to do. In
    my Printers and Faxes I have two printers: hp deskjet 940c
    and hp deskjet 940c Color. Properties: Share this printer.
    Each has a different shared name. Port LPT1, Printer Port. I
    understand this is all I have to do. Is there anything else?

    In the laptop Printers and Faxes the printer hp deskjet
    940c. Printer properties cannot be displayed. What do we
    have to do with the laptop? Delete printer and add printer?
    If so, what parameters do we have to add?

    Thanks.

    Sanford Aranoff, Feb 20, 2010

  2. Assume the printer connects to your desktop, can she ping your computer by
    IP? If yes, can she ping it by name? If not, check firewall settings.

    --
    Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\), Feb 20, 2010

  3. Doesn't work. I think that I may have disabled a critical
    service. Which services must be enabled on the desktop and
    laptops?

    Sanford Aranoff, Feb 21, 2010