Sharing media between XP Home SP2 and Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Broadband Hardware' started by Joe Binz, Dec 27, 2006.

  1. Joe Binz

    Joe Binz Guest

    Hoping someone out there can help.

    Broadband provider: Comcast

    Router: MSFT Broadband Networking Wireless Base Station (MN-700/Xbox
    compatible)

    Xbox Console: Xbox 360 with wireless network adapter

    OS: Windows XPHome SP2

    I am trying to access media files on my networked PC using Xbox 360.

    On the PC side - I have downloaded WMP11 and Zune and set up media sharing
    rights. The Xbox 360 is recognized by the PC and I have checked the box to
    allow all devices to access my media. I have also checked that all the
    relevant ports (UPNP, WMC and Zune) are open on the PC to enable media
    sharing. I have also disabled my client side firewall (Windows One Care) but
    was still unable to get it to work.

    On the Xbox side - I am using my wireless network to acess XBox Live with no
    issues. I have been able to download Xbox Live Arcade and movies with no
    issues. When I try to access music on the media blade however (or pictures)
    - it gives me an error message of: cannot find computers running media
    sharing software. When I run the media connection test - it fails at the
    point of select PC. Under Edit settings - the Xbox is recognizing my network
    and has the appropriate IP address, subnet, gateway, DNS, etc.

    In the Microsoft Broadband Utility - there are no network devices found on
    the local network . When I go into the management tool, however, it lists
    the IP address of the Xbox under DHCP client list.

    On the advice of Xbox support, I tried setting up the Xbox IP address as a
    DMZ using the router management tools, but that did not help.

    After two calls to Xbox support they pointed back to a router problem. I
    was dropped on my support call to MSFT regarding the routher.

    Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you may have to solve this
    problem.

    Joe Binz, Dec 27, 2006

  2. Joe Binz

    Chris H. Guest

    Joe, try posting to the microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter newsgroup.
    This newsgroup supports Microsoft's Broadband Networking brand hardware and
    software only.

    Chris H., Dec 27, 2006

  3. Joe Binz

    Joe Binz Guest

    Ok Chris. I have posted on the Media Center site. I wasn't sure if this was
    an OS software issue or a MSFT branded router hardware/software issue.
    Sounds like you believe this situation is unrelated to the router
    hardware/software.

    Thanks for the pointer.

    Joe Binz, Dec 27, 2006
  4. Joe Binz

    Chris H. Guest

    Sorry, I just caught that you're running Windows OneCare, which will block
    access from the Xbox 360. You might want to check out this Microsoft
    Knowledge Base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910635/ and there
    is another link toward the bottom which may apply.

    Chris H., Dec 27, 2006
  5. Joe Binz

    Chris H. Guest

    Awesome! Glad you got it functioning correctly!

    Chris H., Dec 27, 2006