Sharing Files on a Network Help!!!

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by bnw, Aug 24, 2006.

  1. bnw

    bnw

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I need help!

    There are 10 workstations that have two user accounts on them. Anyway, there is a manager account and a student account on these workstations.

    What I am trying to do is to install a GED software application on the computers. The director of the center would like for the students to access the testing software through the students when they log into the account. However, the testing software shows in the manager accounts because that's where I installed it first and then I dragged and dropped the software icon into the share folders. When I access the students folder it is not there.

    It is a wireless network connection Dell TrueMobile 1180 Wireless USB. I looked under the Preferrd Network box it shows this name Linksys (automatic)

    This connection uses:

    1) client for MS Networks
    2) File and Pritner Sharing for MS Network
    3) QOS Packet Scheduler
    4) Internet Protocol TCP/IP

    This is all of the information I could gather at that time. :dontknow:

    bnw, Aug 24, 2006

  2. bnw

    Gez

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    Messages:
    218
    Likes Received:
    0
    I don't think your problem has anything to do with the network.

    Ok what im gathering is that your trying to get some software to work on a restriced account (ie the students) and you installed the software on the manager account. Now on each of those 10 computers there are 2 accounts each... You will need to install the product on each of the 10 computers under the manager account. Then all you need to do is create a shortcut for the program and put it in not the shared folder but in(im assuming your main drive on the PCs is C:\) C:\documents and setings\All Users\Desktop\
    The icon should then show up on the students desktop.

    If the program wont run.. then you need to contact the software provider about how to get the program to run on a restriced account.

    Feel free to ask any other questions.

    Gez, Aug 29, 2006