    an rj45 lead and would like share files from the desktop to a laptop
    runnning vista which is wirelessy conected to the Hub. I have never
    tried to set any thing up like this before.

    smiley, Mar 28, 2008

  2. smiley

    Jon Guest

    On teh XP Machine right-click the folder you want to share and choose
    "sharing and security", the rest is fairly self explanatory.

    You will also need to make sure both machines have the same workgroup
    name (default is MSHOME, this will work fine.)

    Jon, Mar 30, 2008

  3. smiley

    smiley Guest

    how can i make sure both machines work group are set the same? as i
    understand vista default is different

    smiley, Mar 30, 2008
  4. smiley

    Mike Sun Guest

    I don't think it should matter if the machines are in the same Workgroup or
    not. The main thing is to know the computer name so that you can reach it by
    selecting e.g. \\computername\sharename. Right-click "My Computer" -
    Properties - Computer Name tab on the XP machine for this.

    Often, access to the shared out folder does not work on first attempt for a
    variety of reasons mostly related to security settings but it's worth
    persevering as usually, it is not too difficult to troubleshoot.

    Hope this helps - Cheers from Mike.

    Mike Sun, Mar 31, 2008