sharing a printer with computers with different operating systems

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Aug 12, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hello,

    I am trying to setup my printer so that the three computers in my network
    can share it.

    This how my network is setup: I have one desktop that is running Windows XP
    Service Pack 2. It is connected to a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless-B BroadBand
    Router with a wired ethernet connection. The printer, Lexmark x1185 is
    connected to this computer(Windows XP) by USB connection.

    I also have a laptop and desktop that are running Windows ME. The laptop
    is connected by wired connection with a Zonet ZEN1200 10/100 Mbps cardbus
    PCMCIA card. The desktop with Windows ME is connected with a wireless
    connection using a WUSB11 adapter. All connect to tthe internet with no
    problems, but i cannot get them to share a printer.

    Please Help.

    Thank you.

    George

    Guest, Aug 12, 2007

  2. This should not be a problem.

    First, do you have the printer set up as "shared"? It must be "shared"
    in the same way a folder must be shared in order to be accessible from
    others on the network.

    You don't mention if the OS is Win XP Home or Win XP Pro, and the
    access to the printer is a little different on each, but if it's XP
    Pro, Go to My Computer, then Control Panel, then to Printers and
    Faxes, then right click on the printer, then click Sharing, and the
    button "Share this printer".

    Once the printer is set up, "install" it on the other computers by
    selecting to install a network printer, and browsing to locate it on
    the network.

    Charlie Hoffpauir, Aug 12, 2007