Shared Folders in My Network Places showing under Internet not LAN

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Dec 17, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    My home network is currently playing up on me and I can't work out why. The
    desktop PC is connected by ethernet cable to the wireless router. My laptop
    connects wirelessly to the network. Up until a few days ago I could access
    the internet, printer and shared folders on the desktop with no probs. Now I
    can still connect to the internet but cannot access the printer or desktop
    shared folders from the laptop. But I can access the laptop folders from the
    desktop.

    I can ping the desktop from the laptop. In My Network places I can see both
    computers under Mshome. I can also *find* the desktop using search but if I
    try to open any of the folders I get an error that the network path cannot be
    found. For some reason, in My Network Places all but one of the shared
    folders are now listed under *The Internet* rather than under *Local Network*.

    On the desktop I can *find* my laptop using search but I cannot open Mshome
    (via My Network Places | Entire Network, etc) to see if both computers are
    listed - I get network path cannot be found. But I can ping my laptop from
    the desktop. Sorry if this is confusing!! I just cannot work out why it's
    happened.

    TIA for any help or suggestions. ~purplegrrl~

    Guest, Dec 17, 2006

  2. Guest

    easyrider Guest

    I had the same prob and cured it by cleaning up the registry with a registry
    cleaner I found using google
    greetings and succsess Terence

    easyrider, Dec 17, 2006

  3. Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 17, 2006
  4. Guest

    David Hettel Guest

    It sounds to me like your firewall is blocking the info. What firewalls are
    you running? Do you have Norton installed?

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com