Share internet between desktop and laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by GG, Apr 21, 2007.

  1. GG

    GG Guest

    HI,

    I have a high speed internet connection via the phone line connected
    to an internal modem in a desktop computer running XP.

    I want to share this internet connection with my laptop computer on
    XP. This computer has a regular network connection.

    I have a network card I can installed in the desktop.

    Is it possible to use the network card that I can install in the
    desktop to share the internet between this desktop and the laptop? How
    cna I do that? If not what do you recommand has the most economical
    solution?

    Thanks Very much!

    GG

    GG, Apr 21, 2007

  2. GG

    old man Guest

    If you do it this way, sharing connection, the desktop will have to be
    running in order for the laptop to have a connection.
    Perhaps you dont mind this, but if you do you would need to get an adsl
    router, then either ethernet connection to both, or wireless, or
    combination.

    old man, Apr 21, 2007

  3. GG

    GG Guest

    I don't mind if the desktop stays open

    GG, Apr 21, 2007
  4. Surely. It's done every day.
    From your headers I guess you use XP. Just get a crossover lan cable and
    connect the two, then check "share internet connection" or run the wizard
    on your desktop.
    Set your "client" laptop to dhcp (will be default setting for network card)
    and you should be done.
    However .... as already mentioned, adsl routers are cheap these days and can
    save a lot of energy if you need only run one of the pcs at a time.

    Walter Mautner, Apr 21, 2007
  5. GG

    Jerry G. Guest

    You should have the DSL modem connected to a router in the WAN
    connection using an Ethernet cable. All the computers should be
    connected to the router to their respective Ethernet connections. This
    is the easiest way, and it should work. This type of thing is done all
    the time.

    There is a lot of available free information on the net to find out how
    to make a small home network. Many of the service providers will help
    out their clients with this.

    --

    Jerry G.

    Jerry G., Apr 21, 2007
  6. GG

    GG Guest

    Yes I use XP. I have run wizarad. My client (laptop) is dhcp
    The green light is on. The yellow light is not flashing much.
    My laptop (client) is telling me I have limited connectivity. My
    desktop is telling me cable not connected. I have tried to set my
    desktop to dhcp too but did not work either... what would you suggest?

    GG, Apr 22, 2007
  7. GG

    GG Guest

    Some more info...
    confirm me that my cable is working correctly? I read somewhere me be
    a cross over cable is required? I believe I have a regular lan
    cable... Do I need this specail cable? How can I solve the problem?

    GG, Apr 22, 2007
  8. First, make sure you have a CROSSOVER cable between the two pcs. You can
    check the colors of the wires in the rj45 plugs, they must be in reverse
    order on both ends.
    Do not change your desktop settings except for the ICS part. You must share
    the connection that goes to your ISP, and let it modify the other one
    (LAN).

    Walter Mautner, Apr 22, 2007
  9. GG

    MoiMoi Guest