    Cisco says runs at 1300nm, and the other runs at 1310nm.

    Any help or insight would be appreciated!

    Everest

    Everest, Oct 21, 2006

  2. I've done it.
    There should not be a frequency difference, as both implement
    1000Base-SX over fibre, which has a frequency that is fixed by the
    standard.

    Walter Roberson, Oct 21, 2006

  3. Everest

    Everest Guest

    It's single-mode I'm referring to, which I think is 1000Base-LX. In
    the standard (just what I've read, not the RFC) it seems to suggest
    there is a range between about 1280-1240nm (or so). Both the SFP and
    GBIC both state that they meet the 1000Base-LX standard however.

    So just to clarify, you've connected a GBIC and SFP over single-mode
    cable?

    Everest, Oct 21, 2006
  4. Everest

    Everest Guest

    Sorry, I meant to say 1280-1340nm.

    Everest, Oct 21, 2006
  5. Ah, sorry, it was MM now that I think of it. But the principle
    is the same, that both need to work within the same defined
    frequency range for any given standard.

    Walter Roberson, Oct 21, 2006
  6. I have. From a 3550 to a 3560. No problems.

    Doug McIntyre, Oct 21, 2006
  7. Everest

    Tosh Guest

    So just to clarify, you've connected a GBIC and SFP over single-mode
    Sorry if I change a little bit the topic, anyone has experienced links with
    mixed cisco switches and 3com switches using sfps? I'm interested in your
    experience with both sx and lx technology.
    Tnx,
    Tosh.

    Tosh, Oct 23, 2006