    Does the fibre need to be crossed or can we enter some mdix config commands
    to deal with this?

    Gary

    Gary, Nov 24, 2005

  2. Gary,

    To connect any two GBICs (or SFP modules), you should connect TX on one
    switch to RX on another. Just think logically - one fiber SENDS a light, so,
    another should RECEIVE it.

    Practically, fiber patch cords are color coded. So, if on the one end you
    connect "Black/White", then on another end you should connect White/Black.

    Good luck,

    Mike

    CiscoHeadsetAdapter.com, Nov 24, 2005

  3. Gary

    Gary Guest

    The 6500 has an mdix auto command in the gig interfaces but it does not do
    anything.

    Is the only option to alter the cables.

    Gary

    Gary, Nov 24, 2005
  4. Gary,

    You can not "swap" TX and RX signals on the Fiber GBICs. Physically you have
    light source on the one jack, and light receiver on the another. Just swap
    cable connectors to have TX<-->RX for the both ends and it will work.

    Mike
    www.ciscoheadsetadapter.com

    CiscoHeadsetAdapter.com, Nov 24, 2005
  5. Gary

    anybody43 Guest

    I can't speak for any particular cables however FO patch
    leads are usually "crossover".

    This is what most people want since the task is often to
    connect two identical switch ports.

    "Straight through" patch leads would have to be specially ordered.

    If you think about it you always (well pretty much) have an odd number
    of
    leads.

    I am making the rest up.

    Port - Patch - Port ---- 1 lead
    Port - Patch - Infrastructure-cable - Patch- Port --- 3 leads
    Port - Patch - Infra-cable - Patch - Infra-cable - Patch - Port --- 5
    leads
    etc. etc.

    So if they are all crossover they you always get the right thing and
    all ports are identical.

    Not so bad really.

    anybody43, Nov 26, 2005