Seven More Lies You'll hear At Electronic Stores

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by General Kanckers, Feb 15, 2008.

  1. http://consumerist.com/356135/7-lies-youll-hear-from-salesmen-at-electronics-stores

    1) "The Service Plan covers everything" In fact, it doesn't cover most
    things. Don't believe any salesman who says it covers physical damage,
    spills, cosmetic damage, etc. Also, after you have you machine replaced
    (after 3 repairs), the Service Plan stops working. The salesman will act
    like the replacement is a benefit, really it's so FS can wash their hands of
    your buggy hardware.

    2) "I'm going to give you a discount"
    More often than not my co-workers would lie about high priced items,
    claiming to take off hundreds of dollars on cables or warranties to trick
    uninformed shoppers. Always shop around and find out how much things are
    worth, and watch what the items scan in at instead of taking his word.

    3) "This model is a Future Shop exclusive"
    Danger Will Robinson. "Exclusives" are always a repackaged retail
    product, usually with a slight cosmetic change, but bumped up several
    hundred dollars. As my manager put it: "They move the speakers from the
    bottom to the sides, repaint it and we mark it up". Salesmen make about
    triple commission on these models, so there's strong incentive to push them.

    4) "Setup will avoid hours of work"
    This only applies to computers, but it's good to know. Most salesmen try
    to push this on technophobes, saying that it's a complicated procedure
    involving special tools. Really, they click through the Vista install, run
    regedit to stop some software and burn a backup disk. Oh, and it's
    automated. Unless your time is worth about 30 dollars an hour do it
    yourself.

    5) "You're saving on x"
    With some products there are legitimate discounts available for
    bundling, and managers have the authority to offer real discounts on
    unbundled product. However, avoid bundles like "Pay 350 dollars for setup
    and get free Office and Antivirus". You end up saving about 20 dollars on
    Office and Antivirus, but you're paying 80 dollars for useless setup still.
    If you're going for a discount refuse to tack on anything you don't want,
    and try to push the salesman. It'll hurt his numbers to help you, but he
    won't want to lose a big sale.

    6) "You need Monster Cables/Setup/x to make this work well"
    Anyone who reads Consumerist knows Monster Cables are a scam, so avoid
    them like the plague. They make the salesman about 25 dollars per cable, and
    leave you with very expensive copper. Similarly, some salesmen say computers
    won't work well without setup, which less technically-inclined customers
    tend to believe.

    7) "You have to buy x"
    Legally, the store is obligated to sell you any available (nondisplay)
    product at the advertised price. Many stores "pre-setup" their laptops to
    avoid making customers wait for setup. Salesmen see this as an excuse to
    force the setup on you. Legally (at least in my store), if the customer
    didn't want setup we had to give them the laptop at the sticker price, with
    setup. If the salesman is too pushy ask for a manager, who will know the
    rules a lot better.

    General Kanckers, Feb 15, 2008

  2. General Kanckers

    Agent_C Guest

    Just these 7 ??? - Dude, I can think of at least 100 more!

    Stay tuned...

    A_C

    Agent_C, Feb 15, 2008

  3. General Kanckers

    Impmon Guest

    And I can probably add another 100 on top of yours.

    I had a Best Buy claim that unless I matched the printer brand to the
    PC, they wouldn't work properly. I insisted on the one printer I was
    buying and told them I would buy a new computer with the printer. They
    have not been able to find a Kodak branded computer yet =)

    Impmon, Feb 15, 2008
  4. General Kanckers

    Zomoniac Guest

    LOL! Apart from HP does anyone actually make both?!?!

    --
    Zo
    FS 360: Skate, Table Tennis, Stuntman Ignition, Ridge Racer 6, FIFA 07,

    Zomoniac, Feb 15, 2008
  5. General Kanckers

    really real Guest

    I was having real trouble finding an HDMI cable, or whatever they're
    called, to hook up my PS3 to my tv set. The cheapest I could find was a
    $50 Electrohome cable, but the salesman said they had trouble hooking
    those up to some tv sets. I settled on an $80 Monster Cable. For $30,
    did I buy peace of mind, or was I ripped off?

    really real, Feb 15, 2008
  6. General Kanckers

    Sanddancer Guest

    1. This is an Xbox group

    &

    2. It's a UK group

    There's a hint in the newsgroup title.

    Sanddancer, Feb 15, 2008
  7. General Kanckers

    Hak Guest

    Man you got ripped off in the worse way. Ass raped.

    Just do a search on Monster Cable Ripoff and read the thousands of articles.

    Hak, Feb 15, 2008
  8. General Kanckers

    Calab Guest

    You were ripped off... I paid $6.00 for my cable at monoprice.com.

    HDMI is digital. It either works or doesn't... No fuzziness or blurryness
    from low cost cables.

    Calab, Feb 15, 2008
  9. General Kanckers

    really real Guest

    Well, I live in Canada and we don't have access to six dollar HDMI
    cables. I guess that's the price of having universal medical insurance.

    really real, Feb 15, 2008
  10. monoprice ships to Canada, also ebay.

    Dan Sgambelluri, Feb 15, 2008
  11. General Kanckers

    Agent_C Guest

    Agent_C, Feb 15, 2008
  12. General Kanckers

    Calab Guest

    Pssst... I live in Calgary. I'm sure that you can do better in Vancouver
    than I can here.

    Calab, Feb 15, 2008
  13. General Kanckers

    Allen Guest

    I realized years ago that cables are the electronics stores' popcorn, as
    in movie theaters that sell a dime's worth of popcorn for $5.00. For
    many cables I can go to Wal-Mart, for instance, and get the same thing
    for a third of the price. The late (but not lamented) CompUSA was one of
    the worst offenders in this racket. "If you don't buy this specific
    cable for $30, you aren't going to get good service out of the printer
    you are buying" even though that cable is probably identical to the one
    you're using with your old printer.
    Allen

    Allen, Feb 15, 2008
  14. General Kanckers

    Miles Bader Guest

    Er, did you notice the Newsgroups: line contains _eight_ newsgroups
    (ps3, xbox, nintendo, TV, uk, not-uk, ...)?

    [The original post is a spam/troll but man, how true it is... Sadly,
    people are morons, and keep on going back for more.]

    -Miles

    Miles Bader, Feb 15, 2008
  15. General Kanckers

    Moriquendi Guest

    So do I. I've found HDMI cables for less then $10.

    Moriquendi, Feb 15, 2008
  16. General Kanckers

    really real Guest

    Yeah, well your city isn't getting the Winter Olympics in two years

    really real, Feb 15, 2008
  17. General Kanckers

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    For $80, you could get 8 HDMI cables from monoprice.com...

    I found a no-name electronics store that sells 6' HDMI cables for $15 each.

    Doug Jacobs, Feb 15, 2008
  18. General Kanckers

    Tony Guest

    Cowtown already had the winter Olympics

    Tony, Feb 16, 2008
  19. General Kanckers

    Tarkus Guest

    Good purchase. Hope you got some Bose speakers to go with it.

    Tarkus, Feb 16, 2008
  20. General Kanckers

    really real Guest

    Yeah, but we're going to do the Olympics a lot bigger, and we're going
    to use much more expensive HDMI cables than Calgary ever dreamed of.

    really real, Feb 16, 2008