setup VLAN trunking between 2924 switch and 2611 router

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by tjiang, Dec 30, 2004.

  1. tjiang

    tjiang Guest

    how is it going? I have a cisco question. Can I setup VLAN trunking
    between a catalyst 2924 and a 2611 router with only ethernet
    interfaces? All the documentation on cisco site uses fastethernet on
    2600. I tried to use the same direction. Everything works fine, except
    for the link between the switch and router. I keep getting:

    %LINK-4-ERROR: FastEthernet0/22 is experiencing errors

    sh controller ethernet f0/22 command gives:

    Transmit Receive
    2817441 Bytes 685885 Bytes
    1 Unicast frames 1 Unicast frames
    41708 Multicast frames 480 Multicast frames
    54 Broadcast frames 66 Broadcast frames
    0 Discarded frames 0 No bandwidth frames
    0 Too old frames 0 No buffers frames
    1 Deferred frames 54 No dest, unicast
    0 1 collision frames 2 No dest, multicast
    0 2 collision frames 0 No dest, broadcast
    0 3 collision frames 0 Alignment errors
    1 4 collision frames 1347 FCS errors
    0 5 collision frames 4 Collision fragments
    0 6 collision frames
    0 7 collision frames 0 Undersize frames
    0 8 collision frames 418 Minimum size frames
    0 9 collision frames 13 65 to 127 byte frames
    0 10 collision frames 0 128 to 255 byte frames
    0 11 collision frames 1475 256 to 511 byte frames
    0 12 collision frames 44 512 to 1023 byte frames
    0 13 collision frames 0 1024 to 1518 byte frames
    0 14 collision frames 0 Oversize frames
    0 15 collision frames
    0 Excessive collisions
    0 Late collisions
    I've checked duplex and speed config. they match on both sides.
    any suggestions?

    tjiang, Dec 30, 2004

  2. tjiang

    BB Guest

    Could you tell me the 2611's IOS version. As I know, no trunking feature is
    supported in 2611 (except 2611XM)

    BB

    BB, Dec 31, 2004

  3. tjiang

    tjiang Guest

    thanks for your help. I found that on the cisco product page. I should
    have read it before.
    happy new year

    tjiang, Dec 31, 2004
  4. The 2611 has a 10BaseT Interface, wright? These 26xx routers only
    support 802.1q (not ISL) trunking and, I believe, it must be a T-version
    IOS. Don't forget about the native VLAN.

    Igi.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ignaz_Kr=E4henmann?=, Dec 31, 2004
  5. tjiang

    thrill Guest

    A 2611 does not support VLANs. The reason that Cisco documentation
    only references fast ethernet interfaces for trunking is that only
    router interfaces with fast ethernet interfaces are supported. You
    need to get a 2620 or a 2611XM router or something else that has fast
    ethernet interfaces.

    Scott

    thrill, Jan 2, 2005
  6. :A 2611 does not support VLANs. The reason that Cisco documentation
    :eek:nly references fast ethernet interfaces for trunking is that only
    :router interfaces with fast ethernet interfaces are supported. You
    :need to get a 2620 or a 2611XM router or something else that has fast
    :ethernet interfaces.

    That is no longer correct.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/prod_bulletin09186a00800921e4.html

    802.1Q encapsulation is now available on the built-in 10BaseT
    Ethernet interfaces of the Cisco 2610, 2611, and 2612 with Cisco
    IOS software 12.2(2)T and subsequent releases.

    Someone indicated that they thought T-train was required. That would
    have been the case with 12.2, but if I understand Cisco's release
    model correctly, features introduced in 12.2T would become part of
    the mainline release in 12.3. [It's tricky sometimes to know what
    a 'subsequent release' is.]

    It does appear that at least the PLUS feature set is needed,
    according to the not-entirely-trustable Feature Navigator.

    Walter Roberson, Jan 2, 2005