Setup/Config 1710 as VPN server/termination? Assistance appreciated.

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Joe F, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Joe F

    Joe F Guest

    Hello,

    I've tried to be self-reliant; I've crawled through and read lots of
    documentation from Cisco on how to set up my 1710 (IOS, not PIX) as a VPN
    server/termination, but I'm spinning my wheels. What I want is to be able to
    'tunnel' into my home office from my Mac (OS X. I've downloaded the VPN
    client) when on the road. I'm sorry to admit I'm a bit confused.

    I don't have a radius server, nor do I have use a Certificate Authority (I
    use self signed certs). I'd be happy at first having to use passwords if
    needed, but ideally I'd like to create and store some sort of cert on my
    PowerBook for a bit more seamless operation.

    What would be the simplest/most effective way to do this while maintaining
    full security and functionality?

    In addition, if someone could point me to some documentation that not only
    shows the commands for my config file, but explains what they really mean,
    I'd be grateful.

    Joe Filla

    Joe F, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Joe F

    John.Hall Guest

    Right a PPTP connection should do all you need, configure your Mac for a
    PPTP VPN connection and put the following into your Cisco

    !
    username what-ever-the-user password what-ever-the-password
    !
    vpdn enable
    !
    vpdn-group PPTPGroup
    ! Default PPTP VPDN group
    accept-dialin
    protocol pptp
    virtual-template 10
    !
    interface Virtual-Template10
    ip unnumbered ethernet0
    peer default ip address pool default
    ppp encrypt mppe 40 required
    ppp authentication ms-chap
    !
    ip local pool default 192.168.0.50 192.168.0.52

    now I've use ms-chap as the protocol with NAT but you can use others with
    a PPTP connection, if you search the cisco site for PPTP connections you
    should find what your looking for.

    John.

    John.Hall, Jan 29, 2004

  3. Joe F

    Joe F Guest

[...]

    Thanks John. I'll give it a shot. Do you know of any specific Cisco
    documentation that discusses what I want to do. I've found that Cisco
    documentation seems to be a mix of useful man page and not so useful white
    paper.

    Joe

    Joe F, Jan 29, 2004