    autofocus? The camera has no actual "macro" setting, just a close-up mode
    in the Scene menu. Thanks.

    -David K. (USA)

    Davidmystery, Jan 1, 2004

  2. The Slide Adapter setting is slightly bogus.
    The closest focusing distance on the 885 is 1.6 inches. This is not close
    enough to fill the entire screen with a slide. So the Slide Adapter setting
    lets you use DIGITAL zoom to enlarge the slide image so it can fill the
    screen. You could do the same thing by capturing the smaller image and
    enlarging (resampling) it in your photo editor.
    Alternately, you could just use Auto or Manual mode with the Macro setting on
    (flower icon). The Auto mode sets White Balance, Autofocuses, sets
    Exposure....etc...etc. Then you can resample and crop to 2:3 aspect ratio as
    required.
    Bob Williams

    Robert E. Williams, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Davidmystery

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi...
    Aha! Thank you from me, too! :)

    So, which is in your opinion preferable? Use the digital zoom,
    or go full out and crop?

    One more thing... I don't have a light box, never even
    seen one. Is a 150 watt frosted incadescent in one of
    those frosted globes fixtures good enough?

    Tried just setting the slide on top of a warm
    white flourescent tube - not much good, white
    balance changes by the second - I guess there's
    some IR coming off the tube...

    Or do I do my own dirty work - dig in and experiment. :)

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Jan 2, 2004
  4. Davidmystery

    Davidmystery Guest

    Robert:

    Thanks for the info. I will try the macro/flower setting rather than lose
    data to "digital zoom."

    -David K. (USA)

    Robert E. Williams, Jan 3, 2004