Setting Won't Stay Set

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have added a new laptop to an existing wireless network in which all
    computers are connecting without a problem. The new computer is running XP
    Pro and using a Linksys network adaptor.

    On startup the computer will not connect to the network. When I open the
    network connection properties box I find that the check box next to "use
    windows to configure my wireless network settings" is not checked. I check
    that box and click OK and it immediately finds the network and connects.

    Problem is that when I shut the computer off and restart later, that check
    box is again unchecked and I must go through the same process of getting it
    to connect again. This happens every time I shut down and restart.

    Wireless Zero Configuration is set to start automatically.

    I'm not finding a setting in the Linksys software that would indicate it
    could influence this, and Linksys tech support puts the blame on Microsoft -
    Need another update?? I have all the updates available.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Guest, Jan 25, 2005

  2. Guest

    Mungo Bulge Guest

    You probably have a Linksys card manager installed and it is starting
    during start-up. I am not familiar with their card manager, but I do
    know from experience that if the proprietary card manager stars, WZC
    stops. Anytime I accidentally started a card manager, WZC would stop
    and I'd drop the network.

    Normally, I just insert the wireless card, and let WinXP handle it
    without proprietary drivers.

    I realize this isn't much help, but it will point you to why, if not
    how to fix.

    Mungo Bulge, Jan 26, 2005