Setting up Vista Ultimate 64 bit do dual boot with XP Pro 32 bit

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Don, Feb 23, 2008.

  1. Don

    Don Guest

    Hey gang,

    I have just received Vista Ultimate, along with a new hard drive to put it
    on, to dual boot with my current XP Pro 32 bit. I did a google search to try
    and do some reading on this.

    I have read , of an issue with restore points being deleted with this
    configuration, but believe there is a way to edit the boot file to keep this
    from happening?

    I have also read there is a program, Vista BootPro, that would be good to
    use for this, rather than the built in Vista boot manager?

    Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    --
    Don

    EVGA 780i MB
    Intel Core2 Duo [email protected] 3.24 ghz
    Zalman 9700 NT heatsink/fan
    BFG 8800 GTS 640 mb
    CoolerMaster 830 Evolution Case
    4 gb Corsair Dominator PC8500 DDR2

    Don, Feb 23, 2008

  2. Don

    John Barnes Guest

    If by third party boot manager which totally hides the Vista system, you can
    protect the restore points, otherwise no. VistaBootPro works with the Vista
    Boot Manager, does not have its own.
    http://www.vistabootpro.org/index-about.php

    John Barnes, Feb 23, 2008

  3. Don

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    Jud Hendrix, Feb 23, 2008
  4. Don

    Don Guest

    Thanks John,

    Which restore points get deleted, Vista's, XP's, or both?

    If just Vista, then I could live with that for now. I would rather my XP
    restore points stay intact.

    Don, Feb 23, 2008
  5. Don

    Don Guest

    Thanks Jud,

    Don, Feb 23, 2008
  6. Don

    John Barnes Guest

    You're in luck then, it is only the Vista restore points which are deleted

    John Barnes, Feb 23, 2008
  7. XP's VSS driver deletes files on the Vista volume but not the other way
    around. More than restore points are affected. Any files dependent on
    snapshots taken by VSS's driver (volsnap.sys) are deleted, including
    backups, previous versions (shadow copies), etc. Here is the MS kb for
    preventing this effect. Back up your files (both volumes) before
    proceeding.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 23, 2008
  8. Don

    Don Guest

    Good to hear, thanks John.

    --
    Don

    Don, Feb 23, 2008
  9. Don

    Don Guest

    Good info, and thanks for the link Colin.

    Don, Feb 23, 2008
  10. btw, the instructions apply to both XP Pro x64 as well as all XP x86. I
    have a multiboot setup with Vista x86 and x64, and XP x86 and x64. Believe
    me you want to name each of your partitions with names that tell you what
    they are before you start.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 23, 2008
  11. Don

    Don Guest

    Thanks Colin, thankfully I had the foresight to do that already, and I see
    what you mean.

    Don

    Don, Feb 23, 2008
  12. Don

    Don Guest

    Thanks Colin,

    --
    Don

    Don, Feb 24, 2008
  13. yw

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 24, 2008
  14. Don

    mcwicken

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Does anyone out there have this configuration step by step for 2 separate HHD.

    I had it once, worked great but had this on 2 36 Raptors and 36's are just toooo Small for Vista Ultimate 64 to many programs need to install on that drive..

    SO I got a raptor 74 for Vista.. I could boot only if going to bios and changing boot order, not seeing boot order on the screen. I want it where I can have the option of boot without going to bios. Like it was before.

    Microsoft helped last time and they are trying now but still not working and XP will not boot up at all now. It is seen on the disk in management, and in the bios. It is so screwed up now. I know that peeps are running like this also. :banghead:

    Is there a step by step out there I can go by. BTW this is for XP PRO 32 and Vista Ultimate 64 and yes it does work..

    Thanks

    mcwicken, Aug 30, 2008