Setting up peer-to-peer wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Oct 17, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    How can I set up a wireless peer-to-peer network easily between my laptop
    (running XP Media Center) and my desktop (running XP SP2)?

    I don't have internet access, and so have no need of a wireless router. I
    gather I should be able to make the two machines (each has a wireless
    adapter) talk directly to each other. The Wireless Networking Wizard has
    failed to get them to connect to each other despite copying the settings
    across directly on a flash drive.

    I can get one to claim to be connected while the other one isn't (how does
    that work?!!), and sometimes both claim to be connected and disconnected *at
    the same time* (when I browse available connections, they say the network I'm
    trying to set up is disconnected, and yet when I click on them they ask me if
    I want to disconnect because I am connected).

    Both seem to spend a long time connecting, then claiming they are connected,
    then "acquiring a network address", then failing to find one and giving up.

    Is there an easy way to get these to talk to each other?

    Guest, Oct 17, 2006

  2. Hi
    The Wireless connection utility might state "Connected" when there is a
    Wireless signal reception. However if some thing is wrong with the Network,
    or any of the components related to the Network, there is real Network
    connection.
    Hopefully you configure the two Wireless Card to an Ad-Hoc mode and you gave
    each a Static IP that is on the same subnet.
    If every thing looks good you need to set windows sharing.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 17, 2006

  3. Guest

    Lem Guest

    You want an "ad hoc" wireless network.
    Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a
    Router (forget about the "sharing the connection" part of the article)

    Here's another, non-Microsoft, explanation, which makes the valid point
    "3. Go into the network card properties and set a channel for the
    wireless network to use. Make sure you set the channel to the same
    number on each machine. If you don't have the same value set, the
    network will not work." Usually, however, if you don't do anything, the
    channel will be at the same default for both computers. The post also
    suggests setting static IPs, which will speed up connection between the
    two computers. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13301334

    And beware of 3rd party firewalls (and "Internet Worm Protection").
    These will have to be configured to allow your computers to talk to each
    other.

    Good wireless security (WPA-PSK) can't be used with ad hoc networks
    (which might be a reason to buy yourself an inexpensive wireless
    router). You'll have to use WEP or perhaps "WPA-None" (see this thread:
    http://www.mcse.ms/archive186-2005-2-1410465.html)

    Lem, Oct 17, 2006
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    The Wireless connection utility might state "Connected" when there is a
    Thanks for the suggestion. Forgive my ignorance, but what does this mean? I
    don't see anywhere to enter IP addresses etc. and "subnet" doens't mean
    anything to me at all. Can you tell me where to look and also suggest two
    addresses etc. that I can enter there?

    More usefully, though, is there anywhere with a simple single set of
    step-by-step instructions for setting up this kind of network. I did read the
    article at:

    but my dialog boxes look completely different and I'm baffled by all the
    various options etc.

    Guest, Oct 17, 2006
  5. Hi
    This page might help in Network installation,
    http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html
    Since you do not have a Router with an automatic Network address assignment,
    you need to assign the Network Addresses (AKA IP number) manually.
    Menus look like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/altIP.jpg
    In the left Window, check the "Use the Following IP Address", and assign one
    computer with
    192.168.1.1 Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Second computer 192.168.1.2 Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 17, 2006
  6. Why not use the self assigned ip-address?

    Axel Hammerschmidt, Oct 20, 2006