    Where can I get the software I'll need-- and some instructions on how to do
    it?

    Doc

    John H. Holliday, Oct 11, 2005

  2. John H. Holliday

    Seatoller Guest

    First of all, I suggest you try a Live-CD in the machine. You can get an
    ISO image from here:-
    http://www.linuxiso.org/

    If you don't know how to burn an ISO image to a CD, see here:-
    http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/isofaq.html

    When you're happy that a Live-CD disk works, & has found all your
    hardware, you may wish to install a full version on your HDD.
    Most linux distros can be downloaded for free, from ftp sites.
    The easiest to install, IMHO, are SuSE, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, & Mandriva.
    If (for example) you want to install SuSE linux, there is a list of
    international mirrors here:-
    http://www.novell.com/products/linuxprofessional/downloads/ftp/int_mirrors.html

    For example, depending on what kind of burner you have (CD or DVD), you
    can download the complete distribution (& all applications) from:-
    ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/suse/i386/10.0/iso/

    If you have a DvD burner, you only need to download:
    SUSE-10.0-DVD-SRC-GM.iso

    If you have a CD burner, you should get all 5 CD ISO's:-
    SUSE-10.0-CD-i386-GM-CD1.iso
    SUSE-10.0-CD-i386-GM-CD5.iso

    HTH :)

    Seatoller, Oct 11, 2005

  3. John H. Holliday

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:13:05 -0400, John H. Holliday wrote:

    One phrase starting - How many times .... , comes to mind.
    It's faily easy to setup, broadly -
    Boot from CD/DVD.
    Select manual/auto partition.
    Enter admin password / create user account.
    Set timezone/clock/region
    Networking info.
    Video Adapter / Mouse

    You can -

    download CD/DVDs.

    buy CD/DVDs cheaply, www.cheapbytes.com , don't let the name confuse you
    (it's a well known supplier), it's cheap because you aren't paying for
    an OS like MS, you pay for someone to burn the CD/DVD and ship them to
    you.

    buy retail packs with manuals / install support.

    download live distros, boot from CD/DVD without installing, great for
    checking hardware.

    You can , please oh please say you will search
    where names of several live distros have been mentioned in the last 36
    hours. See below.

    If you search further back you will find stuff like,
    mandrivia, redhat, fedora, suse, koppix , ubuntu (I think that's right)
    mentioned mostly with links to the sites, the HOWTOs, LDP - Linux
    documentation project.

    Still with the search 24HSHS theme,
    lots of Linux tutorial / beginner's links have been posted before.

    Continue searching, there are several Linux newsgroups.
    http://groups.google.com

    Me

    why?, Oct 12, 2005
  4. John H. Holliday

    Dan Evans Guest

    Many PC Linux magazines have distribution cover disks taped on, try one of
    those. They invariably have instructions for the "noob" and assuming you
    have an open mind (which I guess you do, or you wouldn't be asking) and a
    more than basic understanding you should be OK. Gone are the days of
    spending days trying to get the CD Drive recognised because the only help
    you can find appears to assume you're already at a level where you don't
    actually *need* help.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 12, 2005
  5. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a try!

    Doc

    John H. Holliday, Oct 12, 2005
  6. John H. Holliday

    Martik Guest

    More good info:
    http://blinkynet.net/comp/ndx_linux.html

    I would recommend Mandriva for a beginner because of the simplicity of
    installation and availability of support.
    alt.os.linux.mandrake

    Martik, Oct 12, 2005