Setting up a widescreen monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Adam Grinter, Jul 26, 2006.

  1. Adam Grinter

    Adam Grinter Guest

    Today I picked up a new Viewsonic VX2025wm Widescreen monitor. Maybe I
    should have waited until tomorrow when I get the rest of the new system, but
    I had to plug into the existing system to see it running, didn't I?

    I can't work out the resolution and aspect ratio. I'm running XP Home
    Edition. The monitor itself gives me an instruction to set the resolution
    to 1680 x 1050, but in Control Panel>Display>Settings, I do not have that
    option. I am limited to the set options of 800 x 600, 1024 x 768 (my
    current setting), 1280 x 720 or 1280 x 1024. I have run the CD that came
    with the monitor and installed all the stuff that was in the Wizard, but
    that does not seem to have helped.

    How do I set the resolution to 1680 x 1050?

    And will this solve the problem that this screen (on 1024 x7 68) is
    stretching photos etc and distorting them? Or is that something else? Can
    I reset the Aspect Ratio somehow?

    Or should I just wait until I pick up my new box (which has XP Media Centre)
    and find that it will solve everything for me?

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    Adam Grinter, Jul 26, 2006

  2. "Adam Grinter" <> wrote in message
    > Today I picked up a new Viewsonic VX2025wm Widescreen monitor. Maybe I
    > should have waited until tomorrow when I get the rest of the new system,
    > but I had to plug into the existing system to see it running, didn't I?
    >
    > I can't work out the resolution and aspect ratio. I'm running XP Home
    > Edition. The monitor itself gives me an instruction to set the resolution
    > to 1680 x 1050, but in Control Panel>Display>Settings, I do not have that
    > option. I am limited to the set options of 800 x 600, 1024 x 768 (my
    > current setting), 1280 x 720 or 1280 x 1024. I have run the CD that came
    > with the monitor and installed all the stuff that was in the Wizard, but
    > that does not seem to have helped.
    >
    > How do I set the resolution to 1680 x 1050?
    >
    > And will this solve the problem that this screen (on 1024 x7 68) is
    > stretching photos etc and distorting them? Or is that something else?
    > Can I reset the Aspect Ratio somehow?
    >
    > Or should I just wait until I pick up my new box (which has XP Media
    > Centre) and find that it will solve everything for me?

    I am not sure if the ability to output wide aspect ratio resolutions is in
    the graphics card or its drivers, but only newer cards have the ability.
    Just wait until you get your new system.

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Jul 26, 2006

  3. Adam Grinter

    Mr BillyB Guest

    > Today I picked up a new Viewsonic VX2025wm Widescreen monitor. Maybe I
    > should have waited until tomorrow when I get the rest of the new system,
    > but I had to plug into the existing system to see it running, didn't I?
    >
    > I can't work out the resolution and aspect ratio. I'm running XP Home
    > Edition. The monitor itself gives me an instruction to set the resolution
    > to 1680 x 1050, but in Control Panel>Display>Settings, I do not have that
    > option. I am limited to the set options of 800 x 600, 1024 x 768 (my
    > current setting), 1280 x 720 or 1280 x 1024. I have run the CD that came
    > with the monitor and installed all the stuff that was in the Wizard, but
    > that does not seem to have helped.
    >
    > How do I set the resolution to 1680 x 1050?
    >
    > And will this solve the problem that this screen (on 1024 x7 68) is
    > stretching photos etc and distorting them? Or is that something else?
    > Can I reset the Aspect Ratio somehow?
    >
    > Or should I just wait until I pick up my new box (which has XP Media
    > Centre) and find that it will solve everything for me?
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions.

    How is it connected? VGA? DVI?
    Your graphics card capability?

    Mr BillyB, Jul 26, 2006
  4. Adam Grinter

    Plato Guest

    Adam Grinter wrote:

    > Today I picked up a new Viewsonic VX2025wm Widescreen monitor. Maybe I
    > should have waited until tomorrow when I get the rest of the new system, but
    > I had to plug into the existing system to see it running, didn't I?
    >
    > I can't work out the resolution and aspect ratio. I'm running XP Home
    > Edition. The monitor itself gives me an instruction to set the resolution
    > to 1680 x 1050, but in Control Panel>Display>Settings, I do not have that
    > option. I am limited to the set options of 800 x 600, 1024 x 768 (my
    > current setting), 1280 x 720 or 1280 x 1024. I have run the CD that came
    > with the monitor and installed all the stuff that was in the Wizard, but
    > that does not seem to have helped.

    The cd that came with the monitor is only for monitor drivers. What you
    need is the correct video drivers assuming your video card can support
    what the new monitor wants to use.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 27, 2006