    so, is there a way of getting round this. (OR maybe I am just doing the
    whole thing incorrectly !!)

    TIA

    DW, Jan 5, 2005

  2. DW

    Jerry G. Guest

    It can be a bit tricky to write in the path manually. Use the best way that
    works.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    I am able to set Path in XP (using System Properties/Environment
    Variables) but adding another directory does not seem to enable me to
    access the exe /com files in that directory from the command prompt.

    The added directory is shown when I use the 'PATH' command from the
    prompt, but typing the exe name results in '... not recognised as an
    internal or external command...' message.

    If I shorten the whole PATH to just this one directory it then works.

    so... is there a restriction on PATH length (there was/is in DOS) and if

    Jerry G., Jan 5, 2005

  3. DW

    Pennywise Guest

    |> I am able to set Path in XP (using System Properties/Environment
    |> Variables) but adding another directory does not seem to enable me to
    |> access the exe /com files in that directory from the command prompt.
    |>
    |> The added directory is shown when I use the 'PATH' command from the
    |> prompt, but typing the exe name results in '... not recognised as an
    |> internal or external command...' message.
    |>
    |> If I shorten the whole PATH to just this one directory it then works.
    |>
    |> so... is there a restriction on PATH length (there was/is in DOS) and if
    |> so, is there a way of getting round this. (OR maybe I am just doing the
    |> whole thing incorrectly !!)

    Have you tried the SET command?
    SET
    Path=

    Pennywise, Jan 5, 2005
  4. DW

    Toolman Tim Guest

    |I am able to set Path in XP (using System Properties/Environment
    | Variables) but adding another directory does not seem to enable me to
    | access the exe /com files in that directory from the command prompt.
    |
    | The added directory is shown when I use the 'PATH' command from the
    | prompt, but typing the exe name results in '... not recognised as an
    | internal or external command...' message.
    |
    | If I shorten the whole PATH to just this one directory it then works.
    |
    | so... is there a restriction on PATH length (there was/is in DOS) and if
    | so, is there a way of getting round this. (OR maybe I am just doing the
    | whole thing incorrectly !!)
    |
    | TIA

    The path statement length limit is 1024 characters, 2048 in SP2.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832978

    Toolman Tim, Jan 6, 2005
  5. DW

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | ||I am able to set Path in XP (using System Properties/Environment
    || Variables) but adding another directory does not seem to enable me to
    || access the exe /com files in that directory from the command prompt.
    || The added directory is shown when I use the 'PATH' command from the
    || prompt, but typing the exe name results in '... not recognised as an
    || internal or external command...' message.
    || If I shorten the whole PATH to just this one directory it then works.
    || so... is there a restriction on PATH length (there was/is in DOS) and if
    || so, is there a way of getting round this. (OR maybe I am just doing the
    || whole thing incorrectly !!)
    || TIA
    |
    | The path statement length limit is 1024 characters, 2048 in SP2.
    | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832978

    Here's a thought - put your 'troublesome' path info at the beginning of the
    path statement, and see if that helps. It appears to me (playing with this)
    that in the command emulator your path statement gets truncated to 127,
    which was the DOS limit.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 6, 2005
  6. DW

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | ||
    ||| Variables) but adding another directory does not seem to enable me to
    ||| access the exe /com files in that directory from the command prompt.
    ||| The added directory is shown when I use the 'PATH' command from the
    ||| prompt, but typing the exe name results in '... not recognised as an
    ||| internal or external command...' message.
    ||| If I shorten the whole PATH to just this one directory it then works.
    ||| so... is there a restriction on PATH length (there was/is in DOS) and if
    ||| so, is there a way of getting round this. (OR maybe I am just doing the
    ||| whole thing incorrectly !!)
    ||| TIA
    || The path statement length limit is 1024 characters, 2048 in SP2.
    || http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832978
    |
    | Here's a thought - put your 'troublesome' path info at the beginning of
    the
    | path statement, and see if that helps. It appears to me (playing with
    this)
    | that in the command emulator your path statement gets truncated to 127,
    | which was the DOS limit.

    And one final follow-up...you say you're at a command prompt - try CMD
    instead of COMMAND. My path statement didn't get truncated when I checked it
    from opening a command window via CMD.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 6, 2005
  7. DW

    kchandr1

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Is there a patch for Windows 2000 server?

    Hi Community,
    I noticed the same issue with Windows 2000 Server OS, is there a patch for it? The machine i am referring to is a Windows 2000 (Server) enterprise terminal server with Service Pack 4 installed already. Is there a patch or a workaround for this issue?

    Any suggestions in this regard is appreciated.

    Thanks
    -Kishore

    kchandr1, Aug 15, 2007
  8. DW

    lbellysmit

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    This is because you are typing PATH from a command prompt that was opened prior to you restting the path. Open a new CMD window and the adjusted PATH statement should be there.

    lbellysmit, Jan 3, 2011