    Other bits are invalid and shall be cleared

    If I understand the man page correctly, the ECN bits (that are part of the TOS byte) cannot be set using setsockopt(). (Unfortunately I cannot test this right now).

    Am I correct? Do you know about an alternative way to set the ECN bits? Is my only option to use raw sockets?

    framefritti, Jun 6, 2012

  2. framefritti

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    And a new protocol, too.
    No idea, but the Wikipedia entry says:

    It should in principle be possible to use ECN with protocols
    layered above UDP. However, UDP requires that congestion control
    be performed by the application, and current networking APIs do
    not give access to the ECN bits.

    I also note that you can lose a lot by doing this:
    - it's harder for others to implement your protocol
    - going raw sockets may affect performance, if that matters

    /Jorgen

    Jorgen Grahn, Jun 6, 2012

  3. framefritti

    framefritti Guest

    Well, OK, yes, the application uses a protocol of its own layered over UDP.
    The reason for wanting to use the ECN bits is that it is suggested (e.g., in RFC 5404 -- Unicast UDP Usage Guidelines for Application Designers, http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5405) that applications using UDP should do congestion control.

    I am thinking of using TFRC (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5348) for which I have a ready to use library. TFRC can make use of the ECN bits to recognize congestion in advance and avoiding it. Therefore, my idea of setting the ECN bits.
    Yes, I found that entry too. To be honest, in my opinion partly conflicts with the availability of setsockopt() that WOULD allow you to set the ECN bits if Linux did not reset them by policy. Also note that it is always possible to READ them by using recvmsg() instead of recv().

    If I remember correctly, by using raw socket you can specify the whole IP header.
    Also going raw sockets it would mean to reinvent the wheel and rewrite the whole UDP-like part. In my case it is not worth it.

    framefritti, Jun 6, 2012
  4. framefritti

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    Yes, my point was that you're involved in protocol design. "Developing
    an application" sounds too modest :)

    (BTW, can you please limit your line lengths to 70 or so? I have to
    reformat manually when replying.)
    You mean RFC 5405. Thanks! I never heard of that RFC, and yet it
    covers all those things that come up when UDP is discussed here and on
    comp.protocols.tcp-ip.

    But it does, so the Wikipedia article is correct.

    Or is it? I had a quick look in the kernel (do_ip_setsockopt() in
    ip_sockglue.c) and I can't see any resetting take place, except for
    SOCK_STREAM sockets, where it makes perfect sense. Perhaps it's done
    elsewhere. The kernel I'm looking at is 3.2.6.

    /Jorgen

    Jorgen Grahn, Jun 6, 2012