    Does anyone know if it is possible (and how) to get Outlook Express to
    receive messages only from whoever is in your address book?

    THANKS!!

    Les Stewart, Apr 15, 2004

  2. Les Stewart

    Trent SC Guest

    Does anyone know if it is possible (and how) to get Outlook Express to
    Create a so-called whitelist. Click on Tools > Message Rules > Mail and
    create a new rule:
    Where the To Line contains...
    Delete it from the server.

    Then click on the link for 'contains people' and go to the address book,
    select everyone and add to the list, then click on 'options' and select
    'does not contain...'.

    That should do it.

    Trent SC, Apr 15, 2004

  3. Les Stewart

    Gordon Guest

    Les Stewart cogitated deeply and scribbled thusly:
    In addition to what Trent says, don't forget that if you add anyone to
    your addressbook after setting up this list, then you have to manually
    add them to the list.

    Gordon, Apr 15, 2004
  4. Les Stewart

    Trent SC Guest

    Does anyone know if it is possible (and how) to get Outlook Express to
    Extremely good point (quickly updates his whitelist...).

    Trent SC, Apr 15, 2004
  5. Les Stewart

    Les Stewart Guest

    Did not get Trent's first reply on my server. Could you repost it?

    Thank you!!

    Trent SC, Apr 15, 2004
  7. Les Stewart

    Millimeter Guest

    Further, rather than selecting everyone in the list, why not make a
    mailing list and use the list as "does not contain" value. Then OP
    would merely update his mailing list within their address book and the
    rule would still work.

    just a thought,
    Millimeter

    Millimeter, Apr 16, 2004
  8. Les Stewart

    Trent© Guest

    First...create a directory where you want junk mail to go...something
    like 'BULK-JUNK'.

    Then create a rule in OE...

    In Section #1...
    Where the FROM line contains people...

    Then click on Contains People in #3...you'll get a pop-up
    window...click on address book...

    Highlight the first name...hold down the shift key...highlight the
    last name...click on the From arrow...then OK.

    Then click on Options...and pick the option 'Message does NOT contain
    the people below' and 'Message matches ANY of the people below'.
    Click OK...and OK.

    In Section #2...

    Choose 'Move to the specified folder'...and choose the folder above
    that you created.

    Then read the entire rule in #3...to be sure it makes sense...and
    click on OK to save.

    You do NOT want to choose the option to delete the message from your
    server. If you get a message from someone that you forgot to put into
    your address book...or who might send you a one-time message...you'll
    never see it if you pick the option to delete from server.

    The above rule will move most spam to the BULK folder...where you can
    easily review and delete when necessary. Make SURE you always have
    your 'Preview' button turned off when you start OE...so that you don't
    accidentally preview/open mail that may have a virus attached.

    Also, anytime you add someone to your address book, he/she won't be
    included in the above rule. So you'll need to modify the rule...by
    picking all the names in the address book again.

    Hope this helped...good luck.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    What do you call a smart blonde?
    A golden retriever.

    Trent©, Apr 16, 2004
  9. Les Stewart

    Trent© Guest

    Am I reading this correctly?

    If the TO line does not contain the name of someone in my address
    book, the message will be deleted from the server?

    Wouldn't the TO line normally only have MY name in it? Unless I'm
    missing something here, I think almost ALL messages would be deleted.

    Trent©, Apr 16, 2004