Set 6500 not to route certain VLANs

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Bryan, Dec 5, 2006.

  1. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    Hello all,

    I had a quick question about a Cisco 6500 router... is it possible to
    set the supervisor module to not route between certain VLANs configured
    on the router? For example, I have the 6500 router on the inside
    interface of a Cisco ASA that terminates VPN connections. When a user
    connects to the ASA via VPN he/she gets assigned an ip address and gets
    forwarded on to the router. The router then uses ACLs to allow the
    users to certain subnets on the back side of the router. This is in a
    lab environment where many test beds reside, each test bed having it's
    own subnet or subnets and each subnet belonging to a VLAN on the 6500.
    Some of the test beds have multiple subnets that are separated by
    firewalls and routers for testing purposes. These are cases when I do
    not want the 6500 to route between VLANs, I want the firewalls and
    routers being tested to route the traffic. However, I still want the
    subnets connected to the 6500 so users who VPN to the test bed can have
    access.

    Hopefully this made sense... does anyone know if this is possible?

    Bryan, Dec 5, 2006

  2. Bryan

    Bod43 Guest

    vrf may suit you.

    This creates multiple virtual routers inside one router. I understand
    that they can be completely independent.

    You could always use more ACLs?

    Bod43, Dec 5, 2006

  3. Bryan

    rdymek Guest

    I'm not completely certain I am clear on the situation but during the
    times you do not want the 6500 to route, couldn't you simply shut that
    vlan interface down on the router within the 6500? This would disable
    all routing at that level and would leave this dependant on any other
    routers attached to the vlan to take care of the routing. The vlan
    itself would remain up, but the interface routing it would be down.

    Also, if you're using dynamic routing protocols, and not static
    routing, you could change the bandwidth values to make it a less
    desirable route than any other routers on the VLAN.

    What OS are you running on the 6500, CatOS or IOS? Are you using
    multilayer or just simply running it as a switch and router in the same
    chasis?

    Would you be able to provide more information such as more detailed
    topology, specific times when you would not want it to route as well as
    when you would, etc?

    Ryan

    rdymek, Dec 6, 2006