Sessions on CSS 11500

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ringmeister84, Mar 28, 2007.

  1. Hello I'm experiencing troubles with a Cisco load balancer CSS 11500
    (software version 8.10).

    The local sessions reported by the balancer for the servers are wrong;
    if the balancer says 10 local connections I found 20 connections on
    the server, if the balancer says 100 I found over 350 connections on
    the server and so on.
    I have adjusted the "max connections" parameter for each service
    (referring to a server) on the balancer, but it doesn't work, because
    the sessions on the servers grow up indiscriminately (more over the
    value of the "max connections").

    How can I obtain an 1:1 ratio between the session on the balancer and
    the session on the server?

    Anyone has an idea to solve this problem?

    Thanks.

    Bye.

    R84

    ps: sorry for my bad written english (well...spoken is really worst).

    ringmeister84, Mar 28, 2007

  2. ringmeister84

    Thrill5 Guest

    What information are you basing the connection information on the server?
    What type of service are you balancing (HTTP, some other TCP connection) Is
    it possible that users are connecting directly to the server instead of
    going through the CSS?

    If you think you have a serious problem, I would suggest you open a TAC
    case.

    Scott

    Thrill5, Mar 29, 2007

  3. Thanks for the reply, Scott!!!

    Well, I get connections information for the server via the "netstat"
    and the "ps" command (to see also which connections and tasks belong
    to a user); anyone knows if there's a best way to do that?

    I'm balancing serveral distinct services as SMTP, HTTP, POP and IMAP
    and I'm experiencing the same problem with all.

    Before opening a TAC I would exclude faults or a mistakes in the
    configuration of the load balancer or of the servers.

    Anyone has an idea?

    Thanks.

    Bye.

    R84

    ringmeister84, Mar 29, 2007
  4. ringmeister84

    Thrill5 Guest

    I hope your not counting connections in "TIME_WAIT" status. These are
    closed connections. The "TIME_WAIT" are the closed connections but the
    ports not given back to the system pool of available ports until after a
    period of time has elapsed.

    Scott

    Thrill5, Mar 29, 2007
  5. Thanks for the replay Scott!

    Well...can you explain me how I can end the TIME_WAIT connections? I
    have serious problems , cause the servers are falling down
    frequently...they have more than 700 connections, and sometimes it's
    also impossible to contact them via SSH (and in these cases the only
    thing to do is physical reset and reboot)!

    Any idea?

    Thank you!

    Bye
    R84