Server Details Greyed out in Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MJD, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. MJD

    MJD Guest

    Hi

    Running

    Windows 98
    Outlook Express 6

    I have four separate Identities within Outlook Express, one for each member
    of the family. On one of the identities I need to change the smtp server
    details within Account properties but the POP and the SMTP sever boxes are
    greyed out. The rest of the identities are fine.

    Is there a tick that needs to go somewhere that is stopping me from doing
    this? I want to avoid having to create a whole new identity and then
    deleting the problem one.

    Thanks

    MJD

    MJD, Oct 21, 2003

  2. MJD

    Robbo Guest

    Running
    As an idea, are they all independent machine identities?
    If so then they need to log on and change their own details unless there's
    an administrator account somewhere

    Robbo, Oct 21, 2003

  3. MJD

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Oct 21, 2003
  4. MJD

    MJD Guest

    Sorry but you have lost me there!

    What do you mean by independent machine identities?

    I have one PC with Outlook Express running on it within which I have four
    separate mail identities so that when mail is sent from each different
    identity it shows that it comes from the person to which that identity
    belongs.

    I don't have an administrator account.

    When I go to

    Tools
    Account
    Properties
    Server

    the two boxes which have the name of the POP server and the STMP server in
    them are greyed out so that I cannot change the details.

    This is only in one identity though, the other three are white (not greyed
    out) and I can alter the details of the servers. I want to be able to do
    that on the identity where the servers are greyed out.

    Help!

    MJD

    MJD, Oct 21, 2003
  5. MJD

    MJD Guest

    Yes I am - I don't know any other way.

    MJD

    MJD, Oct 21, 2003
  6. MJD

    °Mike° Guest

    I can't think of a cause, offhand, but has this happened
    within the last 5 days? If so, boot into DOS and restore
    a previous good registry with 'scanreg /restore' .

    °Mike°, Oct 21, 2003
  7. MJD

    MJD Guest

    Thanks for the reply Mike - trouble is I don't know when this happened. All
    I know is when I went to change the servers this evening that is when I
    found the problem. For all I know this could have happened months ago!

    MJD

    MJD, Oct 21, 2003
  8. MJD

    °Mike° Guest

    First of all, I would back up my OE data/address book etc.,
    and then do a 'Repair' of Internet Explorer. If that didn't
    work, I would then try a registry restore. It can't hurt
    to try, anyway.

    °Mike°, Oct 21, 2003
  9. MJD

    MJD Guest

    Thanks for that Mike

    While I was waiting for your reply I managed to sort it. I just deleted the
    e-mail account from the identity and then added it again. It was so
    simple - I wish I had tried that earlier.

    Thanks for your help in any case.

    MJD

    MJD, Oct 21, 2003
  10. MJD

    °Mike° Guest

    Great stuff. I'm glad you got it sorted.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Oct 21, 2003