Server+ Certification - worth?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Kobe, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. Kobe

    Kobe Guest

    Kobe, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Kobe

    Kobe Guest

    Do u live in Canada?

    Kobe, Aug 8, 2003

  3. Kobe

    Pat Guest

    That's probably the case with a lot of people with the better
    certifications, ones who's companies sent them for a week-long MCSE boot
    camp or something. I've talked to a lot of clueless MCSE's needing help
    with basic windows networking. These are from companies I don't even get a
    response from when applying to.

    Pat, Aug 10, 2003
  4. Kobe

    RussS Guest

    A tough luck story - however in my area certs are worth more than a degree
    if they are backed up by experience.

    I have seen many degree vs certification debates, however what it comes down
    to is what the market in your local area needs. If there are a lot of
    people with certs and experience then a degree could be the thing that makes
    the difference, however there are so many colleges out there that have
    degrees that are even more worthless than a paper MSCE.

    As an employer I would rather someone with solid experience and not certs or
    degrees over someone with alphabet soup after their name and little or no
    practical work.

    RussS, Aug 10, 2003
  5. Kobe

    RussS Guest

    Kind of like all the colleges out there offering worthless degrees ... lol

    RussS, Aug 11, 2003
  6. Kobe

    SniperFiend Guest

    I know this is months old, but Wow.

    Just Wow.

    I'm embarassed that you guys are related to the IT field. I came in
    here looking for an honest opinion on the Server+ certification and
    read 4 pages of vicious personal attacks by both sides.

    Honestly, are any of you "adults". Because, with very few exceptions,
    I don't see it.

    My personal take on certs and degrees: They are merely another piece
    of paper, much like a degree, that makes you more attractive to a
    prospective employer. Experience is also key.

    I can attest to the fact that all are important. In fact, I wouldn't
    have acquired employment with a Big 5 (now 4) firm without my A+,
    MCSE, Bachelor's degree and 5 years of IT experience.

    I'm sure I'll be flamed over this response, but man...how
    disappointing. It's threads like these that make me worry for our
    country's future.

    -Fiend

    ==============

    SniperFiend, Oct 21, 2003
  7. Kobe

    SniperFiend Guest

    Kathywrote:
    *LOL*! Not just stinky, but with a name such as "SniperFiend"....
    Wow!
    What does it matter what name I use?

    You've just proven my point. Thanks Kathy. Have a great day!

    ==============

    SniperFiend, Oct 21, 2003
  8. Kobe

    Bret Guest

    On 21 Oct 2003 10:15:28 -0400,
    Which country are we in?

    Bret, Oct 21, 2003
  9. On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:00:18 -0700,

    It's just that people are a little suspicious of what appear to be
    Trolls here, and that's you, my friend.

    Just checked Deja for postings from anyone asking opinions on the
    Server + exam in this group, for the past 10 months, and couldn't find
    any at all....let alone "4 pages of vicious personal attacks by both
    sides".

    Of course, I may have missed something, so if you'd care to post even
    a tiny clipping of some of the alleged attacks, I'd be very
    interested.

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Oct 21, 2003
  10. A pretty big one...the Earth. :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 22, 2003
  11. Kobe

    SniperFiend Guest

    The particular topic of this thread is "Server+ Certification -
    worth?", or did you miss that? If you go to the top of the page,
    you'll notice that there are tabs to pages 1-5. Start at the top
    (page 1) and work your way down and you'll see what I'm talking
    about.

    As for you calling me a "troll", well, I wonder why you feel it
    necessary to resort to name calling.

    Yet again, my point is proven.

    Thanks for your input mhaase.

    What does it matter what name I use?

    You've just proven my point. Thanks Kathy. Have a great day!
    [/quote:5369b47277]

    It's just that people are a little suspicious of what appear to be
    Trolls here, and that's you, my friend.

    Just checked Deja for postings from anyone asking opinions on the
    Server + exam in this group, for the past 10 months, and couldn't
    find
    any at all....let alone "4 pages of vicious personal attacks by both
    sides".

    Of course, I may have missed something, so if you'd care to post even
    a tiny clipping of some of the alleged attacks, I'd be very
    interested.[/quote:5369b47277]

    ==============

    SniperFiend, Oct 23, 2003
  12. On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:32:07 -0700,
    OK, I don't know where you posted it, but Deja has no record of any
    posts in this group with the words "Server" "Certification" and
    "worth" in the subject.

    The fact that you mention "If you go to the top of the page,
    you'll notice that there are tabs to pages 1-5" makes me believe that
    you a) you're new to this whole newsgroup thing, and b) you posted
    this to some proprietary/closed/private website/chatgroup and not to
    "alt.certification.a-plus".

    OK, since you're new, let me explain. Calling someone a "troll" is
    not name-calling. In the Usenet world, a "Troll" is someone who
    deliberately posts false, erroneous or inflammatory things in order to
    get a reaction -- to "stir the pot". This appears to be what you've
    done. Therefore, you are a Troll. No "name calling", just simple
    fact. "It is what it is."

    Of course, if you'll just point me to a link that backs up your
    original post...that would change.

    If your point is that you want to be able to post baseless, overly
    pious, and pompous accusations, and not have someone call you on it,
    then you're welcome.

    I resisted 'till I couldn't take it anymore.

    (sigh) Address altered against Spam.

    Replace the -at- and put the "spring-mind" in the correct order

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Oct 23, 2003
  13. Kobe

    SniperFiend Guest

    mhaase,

    You're absolutely right. I did a search on "Server+ Certification"
    and came up with a link to the Certfaq.com forums. I replied in this
    thread without realizing it was a newsgroup.

    If you go to the following link, you'll see the postings I was
    referring to.

    http://www.certfaq.com/bb/ftopic1918-0-asc-0.html

    Thanks!

    ==============

    SniperFiend, Oct 23, 2003
  14. And here is my apology...upon searching Deja again this afternoon, I
    was able to find the thread in question. I have no idea why it didn't
    show up earlier.

    That said, it must be noted that of the 50+ posts in the thread, a
    small portion (only two posters - were you one of them?), reached
    anywhere near the level of "vicious personal attacks".

    Further, since the thread ended almost two months ago, your original
    post in THIS thread still qualifies as "deliberately posting
    inflammatory things", and therefore still qualifies you as a Troll.

    Thank YOU for proving MY point.

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Oct 23, 2003
  15. Kobe

    Tony Sivori Guest

    Tabs? Pages?

    Do you know what you are posting to? You are not posting to a web site.
    You're posting to a Usenet news group. Instead of a newsreader, you're
    using some web site's HTML front end.

    Most people here are using a news reader post through a NNTP server, and
    what they see is nothing like what you see. No web pages. No background
    colors. No banner ads. No cookies. No HTML (well, except for Kathy's
    posts).

    Tony Sivori, Oct 24, 2003
  16. Kobe

    Tony Sivori Guest

    Google is having problems for at least a week now. Threads randomly
    disappear out of the archive, and then later reappear.

    Tony Sivori, Oct 24, 2003
  17. Kobe

    Tony Sivori Guest

    No offense, as I like both you and your posts, but instead of flaming you
    (or even politely asking you to post in a format that pleases me) I just
    killfiled on the "from" line of your HTML posts. Since I'm seeing your
    posts now - and no HTML - I would guess that you are posting from a
    different machine or else you reconfigured OE.

    Welcome back. :)

    Tony Sivori, Oct 24, 2003