    I just got the Sever 2003 resource kit at work. Is this a pretty useful
    tool in the pursuit of all things MCSE? Just curious if anyone had checked
    this out for value and content.

    MitchS, Aug 22, 2005

  2. MitchS

    Ben Smith Guest

    The Security Resource Kit will definitely help on 70-214 and 70-299.

    Ben Smith, Aug 22, 2005

  3. MitchS

    Neil Guest

    Neil, Aug 22, 2005
  4. MitchS

    Ben Smith Guest

    Ben Smith, Aug 22, 2005
  5. MitchS

    Beoweolf Guest

    I think the only reason they aren't included on the CD/DVD is to keep people
    from shooting themselves in the foot. The support tools is include on the
    disc, which is dangerous enough in the wrong hands, to include Resource kit
    seems like a no brainer. If you do more than just start systems after power
    failure and add users to the directory, you need to install AdminPak,
    support tools and Resource kit, religiously. Whether or not to install them
    doesn't even deserve the hesitation involved in making a decision.

    If you are working toward certification, need some low cost alternatives to
    third party software or just want to be better at your job, all three are
    some of the best free tools you can get. The next thing is to learn and use
    some form of scripting; it doesn't much matter which one you use, just so
    long as you learn to automate as many tedious, repetious jobs as you
    can....besides, the chicks dig guys that can script!

    Beoweolf, Aug 22, 2005
  6. MitchS

    MitchS Guest

    I have just been promoted to network admin and am currently migrating from
    Novell to a 2003 native network. I have installed both.
    I am

    need some low cost alternatives to
    Always a plus.

    or just want to be better at your job,
    That is definately the goal.

    We installed ScriptLogic. It is based on or uses KiXtart. We have a basic
    script that assigns printers, drive mappings, and GPO's.
    So far I like it pretty well but it is mainly a GUI that builds the
    scripting code for you (not really much actual script writing.)

    Thanks for the advice. My only problem now is deciding where to start on
    the mountain of information I want to learn.

    MitchS, Aug 22, 2005
  7. MitchS

    catwalker63 Guest

    He's right, actually. It helped me.

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    catwalker63, Aug 23, 2005
  8. MitchS

    catwalker63 Guest

    Start with the workstation OS. It all builds from there. Make sure you
    have a machine or two to practice on. I also found it helpful to set
    deadlines -- brings out the competitive spirit and keeps the process
    moving.

    catwalker63, Aug 23, 2005
  9. MitchS

    Rowdy Yates Guest