    drives are faster so using that for my files I assume would be the best way
    to go. I'm just not sure if I can use both drives together on the same
    system. Thanks for your help.

    Brad, Jan 3, 2004

  2. Brad

    bob adams Guest

    I'm pretty sure you could, but not completely sure. The D drive would be
    your CD, but it would be like E or something.

    bob adams, Jan 3, 2004

  3. Yes, you can use the different types of drives together as long as the
    motherboard supports them both. However, I'd recommend using the faster
    drives on both of them. Why have speed for opening files if you are going
    to be slow loading your programs?

    As far as the drive lettering, it usually depends on how you've got the
    drives connected (primary/secondary, master/slave). I have two hard drives
    C and D, my zip drive is E, and my CD-ROM is F.

    *shrug*

    =The Anti-n00b=, Jan 3, 2004
  4. Brad

    Diehard Guest

    SATA is using a bit faster bus/cable, but the hard drives are really ata.
    they're not really made for SATA just yet. What you want is the OS on the
    fastest drive and storage on the slower. install windows on the SATA drive.
    unless the ata drive has a better seek time and so on. you can use both of
    course, :)

    Diehard, Jan 3, 2004
  5. Brad

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    I highyl disagree with this comment. You would see much better results
    a 4 GB video file from the faster drive than vice versa. You want the
    fastest drive to be the one holding the biggest amount of data to be read.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 3, 2004
  6. Brad

    Diehard Guest

    I agree, but the OS is reading all the time. you install programs on the
    faster drive and the OS.

    Diehard, Jan 3, 2004
  7. Brad

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    My computer does not constantly access the hard drive to read OS code.
    That generally happens at a time known as "startup". Past this, just about
    all the code is in RAM, unless you don't have enough. I say again, would I
    rather load Photoshop from a slightly slower drive (note, the difference
    between ATA100 and SATA150 is minimal, if at all), and then load my 4 GB
    work file from a fast drive, or load the tiny application from the fast
    drive and wait as the slower drive supplies the data.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 3, 2004
  8. Brad

    Michael-NC Guest

    I think it really depends on what kind of raid array you're using and how
    you have your data backed up. I'd rather have my OS and a couple apps loaded
    on a striped array of those 10,000RPM screamers and have my data on a single
    hard disc. IMO, it's less of a risk if one of the drives in the raid goes
    down, taking your data with it. Of course you could mirror them...

    There's no right or wrong way to do this. Plenty of options here, it just
    has to be thought out to determine what is the best option.

    Michael-NC, Jan 4, 2004
  9. Brad

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    True, but as far as I know we aren't talking arrays, we are talking 1 SATA
    drive and 1 PATA drive.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 4, 2004
  10. Brad

    Michael-NC Guest