    to use for the Player?

    Any help appreciated.

    Colin

    News Group, Jan 6, 2005

  2. Not that I know of. Both Windows and WMP seems to use the
    default audio device without any way of selecting a specific
    device. Other players (WinAmp, MediaPlayerClassic,
    QuickTimePlayer...) will let you select any audio device in
    the system.

    Alessandro Angeli [MVP::DigitalMedia], Jan 6, 2005

  3. News Group

    dezza Guest

    dezza, Jan 6, 2005
  4. I've seen certain audio cards that came with drivers that would
    allow you to route the Windows sounds to a different output than
    the main high-quality path. But likely not 1 in 1000 support such
    a function.

    Why not just turn off the Windows sounds? They are just silly
    fluff anyway, IMHO. But when I started using computers, we
    were still using punch-cards, so consider the source! :)

    Richard Crowley, Jan 7, 2005
  5. News Group

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | "News Group" wrote ...
    | > I want to separate Windows sounds from Audio Playback.
    | >
    | > I would like to use my USB Creative Audigy 2 NX for WMP,
    | > but have Windows sounds directed to the 3.5mm output on the
    | > mainboard.
    | >
    | > Is there a way to specify a device to use for Windows and a
    | > different device to use for the Player?
    |
    | I've seen certain audio cards that came with drivers that would
    | allow you to route the Windows sounds to a different output than
    | the main high-quality path. But likely not 1 in 1000 support such
    | a function.
    |
    | Why not just turn off the Windows sounds? They are just silly
    | fluff anyway, IMHO. But when I started using computers, we
    | were still using punch-cards, so consider the source! :)

    (used to sit with Dad watching TV punching cards to make copies of his
    software!)

    Toolman Tim, Jan 7, 2005
  6. News Group

    Triffid Guest

    I took my dog out for a walk.
    While it was pissing on News Group's leg, he seemed distracted by:
    Winamp 5:

    Preferences (Ctrl-P) - Plug-Ins - Output - DirectSound - Configure.

    There's a drop-down where you can select the audio card for output.
    If the default under Windows Sounds - Audio is your pc speaker, the pc will
    bleep, but the music will go through to the stereo. Works for my Audigy,
    anyway.

    Triffid, Jan 7, 2005
  7. Not with Media Player. Download and install WinAmp, this allows you to
    set a playback device. Configure your onboard sound as default in
    Control Panel, then configure your Audigy as WinAmp's output device.

    I've done this myself, using an SB Live for Windows' audio, and an MP3
    Blaster USB device for WinAmp. The MP3 Blaster is quite useful as it
    doesn't resample anything when set to digital output only. I've got it
    running into a Sony MDS-JB980 as a DAC, and it sounds pretty good.
    (Actually until earlier today I had it running into an Arcam Black Box
    50, slight overkill - but that's now been moved back into the main hi-fi.)

    Glenn Richards, Jan 7, 2005
  8. News Group

    News Group Guest

    Thanks to everyone for your help.