    main left the dust there so far until something better than the current
    methods is invented.

    TIA

    badgerthedeadfish, Dec 8, 2003

  2. badgerthedeadfish

    Jim Townsend Guest

    I'm a fan of lens pens.. As a matter of fact, that's all I use to clean my
    lenses.. But.. I wouldn't touch my 10D sensor with one..

    Perhaps it worked on someone's 1D. The pad is certainly soft enough.

    But the pad is lightly impregnated with a cleaning fluid. You stand a good
    chance of winding up with a streaking that gets worse the more you rub the
    sensor.

    Stick to one of the tried and true methods:

    http://www.rogercavanagh.com/helpinfo/09_cleaning.htm

    Jim Townsend, Dec 8, 2003

  3. badgerthedeadfish

    George Kerby Guest

    Are you an employee of P.S.I.?
    LOL!

    George Kerby, Dec 8, 2003
  4. badgerthedeadfish

    Crownfield Guest

    what will you pay if the non approved cleaning damages the sensor?

    Crownfield, Dec 8, 2003
  5. badgerthedeadfish

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Sorry if the author's attributes are mixed up a bit.. One of the posts is
    missing from my news server and I can't quite sort them out.

    I don't work for PSI.. As a matter of fact I don't work for anyone and have no
    immediate plans to. I'm recently retired and loving it :)

    The Photosol method works.. What can I say. Obviously, use it at your own
    risk.. Home sensor cleaning has been done successfully and without sensor
    damage by many users. I pointed this out because I felt it less risk than
    using a lens pen.

    Yes it isn't approved by Canon, but AFAIK, it is approved by Kodak and Nikon.
    (Correct me if I'm wrong).

    BTW.. A 6 mp Canon CMOS sensor replacement runs around $800.00 U.S.

    Jim Townsend, Dec 8, 2003
  6. badgerthedeadfish

    George Kerby Guest

    HUH? THAT was a leap! Approved by whom? I guess there is a monopoly for
    sensor cleaning. My answer is to not get it dirty.

    George Kerby, Dec 8, 2003
  7. Nikon says no, at least in the D100 manual. From their manual:

    The low-pass filter is extremely delicate and easily damaged. We
    recommend the filter only be cleaned by Nikon-authorized service
    personnel. Should you choose to clean the filter yourself, follow the
    steps below.

    They tell you to blow off dust and if it won't blow off, take it to
    Nikon for cleaning. It ends with "Under no circumstances should you
    touch or wipe the filter."

    Andrew McDonald, Dec 8, 2003
  8. badgerthedeadfish

    Crownfield Guest

    leap? why?

    Obviously if you clean it with sandpaper,
    the warranty is voided.
    by the manufacturer?
    who else is qualified to judge
    whether it will void any warranty?
    If my sensor gets dirty,
    I clean it, myself, properly.
    the best answer,
    until you have to do something to get the shot,
    and the sensor gets dirty.

    I check it before every job,
    and clean it only if required.

    Crownfield, Dec 8, 2003
  9. badgerthedeadfish

    eawckyegcy Guest

    I use the pages of a weather worn pornographic magazine, an M7
    blasting cap, and the slobber from a blood hound. Has anyone else
    tried this method? Works great for me!

    eawckyegcy, Dec 8, 2003
  10. badgerthedeadfish

    George Kerby Guest

    My asking the question (jokingly) about the op's strong recommendation of a
    single product line that jumped to your asking me if I want to pay for the
    sensor damage. You see the connection, Mr. Spock?
    Well, yeah! DUH!
    I was referring to all of the products being by one company.
    When you change lenses do it quickly with the body pointing downward to
    prevent such things from happening. This is the only time that I can see the
    sensor becoming fouled. Try not to swap lenses in a hostile environment.
    Same principal as changing holders, backs, film and lenses with film
    cameras. Works for me...

    George Kerby, Dec 8, 2003
  11. The dribble from GP's mouth is a well known surfactant, put it on a spatula
    and away you go....

    Betty Swallocks, Dec 8, 2003
  12. badgerthedeadfish

    Crownfield Guest

    i guess that you missed the fact
    that there is ONLY ONE factory APPROVED method
    of cleaning any of the sensors, like fuji or kodak,
    and it comes from guess who?
    PSI.
    because one and only one company
    makes any approved cleaning tool / system.

    all of the approved products ARE made by one company.
    try changing lenses in a dusty factory,
    or outdoors on a windy misty day.

    Crownfield, Dec 9, 2003
  13. badgerthedeadfish

    George Kerby Guest

    Like I said I didn't know there was a monopoly.
    Must be nice!
    Done that for 30+ years. Try it inside a rail tanker car while it's being
    cleaned to handle a different chemical for transport. That was before zoom
    lenes became the norm...

    George Kerby, Dec 9, 2003
  14. badgerthedeadfish

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that "Betty Swallocks"
    Surely you'd risk shorting out the electronics with the sheer volume of
    spittle?

    Lionel, Dec 11, 2003
  15. badgerthedeadfish

    Matt Guest

    Want to have a dirty CCD to practice on? Just hook your DSLR up to a
    bellows--after cranking it back and forth a few times, your CCD will
    be peppered with crud. Best policy is to keep your bellows units well
    vacuumed and stored in plastic bags, learn from my experience.

    Matt, Dec 11, 2003
  16. badgerthedeadfish

    George Kerby Guest

    Thanks for the advice, Matt. Doubt most here use bellows though. I keep my
    view camera bellows racked up tight and in the vertical position when not in
    use and blow them out with Dust-Off before use. Another thing, in large
    format, keep those film holders well vacuumed and stored in non-static
    plastic bags.

    George Kerby, Dec 12, 2003