    I will appreciate if someone can suggest another tool

    Rgs
    Kevin

    wkevin, Jun 13, 2013

  2. wkevin

    wkevin Guest

    Hi,
    strangely it was I solved when I added default gw .... not sure why

    wkevin, Jun 13, 2013

  3. wkevin

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    I know little about multicast apart from what ip(7) says, but it seems
    rather likely that the tool works and it reports an actual error.

    Try running strace on it to see what system call fails with ENODEV.
    Also check the syslog for complaints from the kernel.

    /Jorgen

    Jorgen Grahn, Jun 13, 2013
  4. wkevin

    Andy Furniss Guest

    I can't claim to know much about multicast, but from doing the bare
    minimum in the past to get something working - yes it needs a route and
    default will do.

    You could explicitly add one

    ip route add 224.0.0.0/4 dev XXX

    Which of course you need to do in the case of multiple ifs one with
    default where you don't want locally generated multicast to use the default.

    To do multicast routing you need to install and configure something for
    the task.

    Andy Furniss, Jun 14, 2013