Sending mail problem with Netscape 7.02 and ibook with sys 9.2?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Mac Main, May 11, 2004.

  1. Mac Main

    Mac Main Guest

    After 3 years of easy cable modem access, I switched to SBC Yahoo DSL
    and find that I can neither send mail with the mail portion communicator
    or post to news groups.

    Mail can be sent with web mail from my SBC Yahoo home page and mail
    and newsgroup posting does work from Outlook Express 5.0, BUT I WANT
    to USE MY NETSCAPE 7.02. I've checked the Netscape setting multiple
    times, but sending a message just hangs until I cancel and the choose
    to save the message in the drafts folder. I've been messing with this
    for four days and while the dsl may be faster, I'm hung up on wanting
    to continue with netscape.

    This message is being posted with Outlook Express 5.0, and while I'll
    be able to read responses in Netscape 7.02, won't be able to respond
    with it until some one tells me the trick to try that makes things better
    and normal again.

    PLEASE and thanks.

    Mac Main

    Mac Main, May 11, 2004

  2. Mac Main

    Moz Champion Guest

    Have you checked with SBC Yahoo DSL instructions as to setting up Netscape (or Mozilla) for use with the system?

    Moz Champion, May 12, 2004

  3. Mac Main

    Mac Main Guest

    Sure have and multiple times they have been as they should be.

    Further investigation of my ibook hard drive shows that I have
    Mozilla 1.3.1 the WaMCom version AND Netscape 7.02. UNFORTUNATELY
    they ARE SHARING the profile in my DOCUMENTS folder. I have read
    online that this causes problems with MOZILLA and apparently with
    Netscape......my guess is this could be my problem, but I have no
    idea how to solve it.
    I'm 64 and have been using Macs for 20 years and Netscape since
    version 1.0. I'm not ready for Mac's OS X.anything and the way
    I understand the current environment, Mozilla beyond what I have is
    for OS X (only?)

    How do I get two separate profiles and protect 3 some years of
    email history?

    Thanks.

    Mac Main, May 12, 2004
  4. Mac Main

    Moz Champion Guest

    Press the Apple key while clicking on the icon.
    This will invoke Profile Manager, in which you can create a separate profile for one of the programs. Its best to create a Mozilla 1.3.1 profile while in its profile manager of course.

    However, the situation you are describing doesnt sound like a shared profile problem, unless you ARE succeeding in sending email with the WamCom version but NOT with the Netscape one.

    Does SBC Yahoo have specific instructions for setting up Netscape 7 or Mozilla? If so it would be of an assist if you provided the url of such so they could be reviewed.

    Moz Champion, May 12, 2004
  5. Mac Main

    Mac Main Guest

    Creating a new profile in 7.02 solved the problem and now I am able to send
    mail. Thanks for your help!
    http://help.sbcglobal.net/article.php?item=285&app=ns&os=mac is where they
    tell you how to check your settings.

    Mac Main, May 12, 2004