    Is anyone familiar with this problem?

    Thanks!
    bilal

    bilal, Dec 29, 2004

  2. bilal

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Hello.
    |
    | I have a DSL modem. I recently got VoIP via Vonage and so I had to dig up
    | an old Netgear RP614 router to connect both the VoIP adapter and my
    desktop.
    | Before I began using the router (i.e. when the DSL modem plugged directly
    | into the desktop) I had no problems sending email using any email client
    via
    | imailhost.worldnet.att.net. Now that the desktop is plugged into a port
    on
    | the router, I am not able to send email anymore. When I connect the DSL
    | modem directly the the desktop again, it works fine.
    |
    | Is anyone familiar with this problem?
    |
    | Thanks!
    | bilal

    Only the email quit? How about browsing the Internet or posting to news
    groups? You may have some closed ports on the router. But then I don't know
    anything about that particular model, so I must be guessing...I
    think...well, maybe (sorry...long day at work <g>)

    Toolman Tim, Dec 29, 2004

  3. bilal

    crap Guest

    Hey Toolman,
    the problem only occurs on sending mail. surfing the net, receiving,
    messaging, etc. all work fine.
    what port would i need to look in to?

    crap, Dec 29, 2004
  4. bilal

    Jerry G. Guest

    Both your router, and modem may be having an active firewall. Along with
    this, your computer may also be running a firewall software. Only use one
    firewall, and preferably the one in the modem, if it has one. If not, then
    use the one in the router. You will have to consult the instructions for
    your units for details.

    In the case that there may be some secure ports blocked, you can ask your
    ISP about what ports must be left open for emails. Then you can check in to
    your router, in case it has port blocking, and these are closed.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    Jerry G., Dec 29, 2004
  5. bilal

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Most email systems use port 25 for send, and 110 for receive.

    | Hey Toolman,
    | the problem only occurs on sending mail. surfing the net, receiving,
    | messaging, etc. all work fine.
    | what port would i need to look in to?

    | > |

    Toolman Tim, Dec 29, 2004
  6. Port 25.. and have a great New Years!

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Dec 31, 2004