Sending luggage (with photo gear) ahead by FedEx cross-border

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wally, Jan 1, 2010.

  1. Wally

    Wally Guest

    OK, some Islamic nut tries to blow up a plane, and now the security
    guys have to prove they're even crazier by implementing moronic
    "security" measures that do nothing to improve our security...

    Nevertheless we have to follow the new procedures obediently and
    politely.

    So how are residents of Canada and elsewhere going to get our bulky
    teles and multiple camera bodies down to the States when carry-on bags
    are not allowed? One answer seems to be to send ahead using couriers.
    Their percent lost and stolen packages are near zero, much lower than
    the airlines. It might cost $100/package, but that might be worth it
    for some.

    Two questions, though, for those that might have experience with this:
    1) Where to send the package if I have no hotel reservation at the
    destination?

    2) Are there going to be hassles with U.S. customs?

    Any other helpful suggestions appreciated too.

    Wally

    On topic replies only please.

    Wally, Jan 1, 2010

  2. Wally

    Wally Guest

    Yes, I will call them -- not too sure they will give me a straight
    answer on the U.S. customs issue, but we will see.

    Wally, Jan 2, 2010

  3. Wally

    Guest Guest

    vote with your wallet. cancel the trip until they stop treating you and
    everyone else like a criminal. be sure to explain to the airline and
    the cities you were planning on visiting where you were going to spend
    money why you will be going someplace *else*.

    Guest, Jan 2, 2010
  4. Wally

    Pete D Guest

    Why would any business in the US care if Canucks came or not?

    Pete D, Jan 2, 2010
  5. Wally

    Mort Guest

    Canadians, by and large, are very friendly people, and I have had
    nothing but pleasant experiences in Canada, even in P.Q. with my very
    limited French. Please do not knock an entire nation because of
    over-reaction by a few government officials. That is not fair.

    Mort
    USA

    Mort, Jan 2, 2010
  6. Wally

    Guest Guest

    do you have a better way to end this nonsense? they can always drive,
    and even take a domestic flight within the usa which is not restricted,
    yet.
    yes they do, and it's not just canada.

    <http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/74041-homeland-securit
    y-dept-to-launch-international-airport-security-campaign>

    ³As part of the ongoing review to determine exactly what went wrong
    leading up to Friday¹s attempted terrorist attack, we are looking not
    only at our own processes, but also beyond our borders to ensure
    effective aviation security measures are in place for U.S-bound flights
    that originate at international airports,² Homeland Security Secretary
    Janet Napolitano said in a statement Thursday.

    Guest, Jan 2, 2010
  7. Wally

    Wally Guest

    Yes, but to pull the discussion back to topic, what's the best way for
    photographer travellers to deal with this, when taking along expensive
    and bulky cameras/lenses?

    Wally

    Wally, Jan 2, 2010
  8. Travel by train. No luggage limits, no weight limits, no obnoxious body
    searches, not squeezed into a sardine can with no leg room, ...
    And it's faster than flying for distances up to 1000km or more, too,
    because there's no need for neither commuting too and from the airport
    far outside the city nor for "be there hours before departure".

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jan 2, 2010
  9. Wally

    Paul Furman Guest

    I would definitely add insurance for the fedex method.
    Is that a possibility for checked baggage?

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jan 2, 2010
  10. Wally

    Bristolian Guest

    Not sure about North America but here in Europe Fed-Ex offers a
    guaranteed next day delivery for International parcels to major cities.
    In the UK it's called International Express. It's not cheap!

    You have to complete a customs declaration form before the parcel is
    accepted. The form must itemise every item inside the parcel along with
    its value and provided none of the items are on a customs technology
    list or prohibited then Fed-Ex pre-clear customs so there are no delays.

    As your planning to ship it to the USA and then back to Canada you might
    (legally) need a carnet de passage. Would be worth speaking to Fed-Ex
    about it.

    HTH

    Bristolian, Jan 2, 2010
  11. Wally

    GaryT Guest

    As someone anticipating a trip to Austria in July, this is a timely topic. I
    will not need next-day service, but these suggestions on the various options
    to get stuff there and back with minimal risk of both theft *and* damage are
    appreciated. Is this somethihng that most travel agents are well versed in
    assisting people with?

    Gary T

    GaryT, Jan 2, 2010
  12. Wally

    anonymous Guest

    Just ban underwear ... Scots in kilts won't have a problem ;)

    anonymous, Jan 2, 2010
  13. Wally

    iws Guest

    | OK, some Islamic nut tries to blow up a plane, and now the security
    | guys have to prove they're even crazier by implementing moronic
    | "security" measures that do nothing to improve our security...
    |
    | Nevertheless we have to follow the new procedures obediently and
    | politely.
    |
    | So how are residents of Canada and elsewhere going to get our bulky
    | teles and multiple camera bodies down to the States when carry-on bags
    | are not allowed? One answer seems to be to send ahead using couriers.
    | Their percent lost and stolen packages are near zero, much lower than
    | the airlines. It might cost $100/package, but that might be worth it
    | for some.
    |
    | Two questions, though, for those that might have experience with this:
    | 1) Where to send the package if I have no hotel reservation at the
    | destination?
    |
    | 2) Are there going to be hassles with U.S. customs?
    |
    | Any other helpful suggestions appreciated too.
    |
    | Wally
    |
    | On topic replies only please.

    Who told you carryon bags were not allowed? Returning to the US, I passed
    through security at Pearson last Sunday and Monday - two of the worst days
    for traveling since the bomb attempt. On Sunday, you were limited to one
    piece of carry-on baggage. On Monday, you were limited to one piece of
    carry-on and it couldn't have wheels. I had no problem with a good sized
    backpack and that's what I'd recommend.

    iws, Jan 3, 2010
  14. Wally

    Bristolian Guest

    GaryT wrote:

    Is this somethihng that most travel
    From my experience of travel agents the answer to your questions is an
    emphatic NO!

    Speak to the experts - the various courier companies

    HTH

    Bristolian, Jan 3, 2010
  15. Wally

    Chris H Guest

    Money. You need to trade. Also Canadians have money to spend

    Chris H, Jan 3, 2010
  16. Wally

    Wally Guest

    Thanks, that's useful information.

    As for where I heard it, check out
    http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/trav_adv/091230.html
    where it says "the new regulations do not permit carry-on bags on
    flights to the United States", but then they state exceptions, like
    laptops, but without saying whether those articles need to be bare or
    can be in a bag.

    Wally

    On-topic follow-ups only please.

    Wally, Jan 3, 2010
  17. Wally

    iws Guest

    | >| teles and multiple camera bodies down to the States when carry-on bags
    | >| are not allowed? One answer seems to be to send ahead using couriers.
    | >| Their percent lost and stolen packages are near zero, much lower than
    | >| the airlines. It might cost $100/package, but that might be worth it
    | >| for some.
    | >|
    | >| Two questions, though, for those that might have experience with this:
    | >| 1) Where to send the package if I have no hotel reservation at the
    | >| destination?
    | >|
    | >| 2) Are there going to be hassles with U.S. customs?
    | >|
    | >| Any other helpful suggestions appreciated too.
    | >|
    | >| Wally
    | >|
    | >| On topic replies only please.
    | >
    | >Who told you carryon bags were not allowed? Returning to the US, I passed
    | >through security at Pearson last Sunday and Monday - two of the worst
    days
    | >for traveling since the bomb attempt. On Sunday, you were limited to one
    | >piece of carry-on baggage. On Monday, you were limited to one piece of
    | >carry-on and it couldn't have wheels. I had no problem with a good sized
    | >backpack and that's what I'd recommend.
    |
    | Thanks, that's useful information.
    |
    | As for where I heard it, check out
    | http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/trav_adv/091230.html
    | where it says "the new regulations do not permit carry-on bags on
    | flights to the United States", but then they state exceptions, like
    | laptops, but without saying whether those articles need to be bare or
    | can be in a bag.
    |
    | Wally
    |
    | On-topic follow-ups only please.

    The regs may still be in flux. It took me nearly 5 hrs to get through
    Customs and security on the 27th and I missed my flight by 20 minutes and
    had to stay over an extra day. Things were far better organized on the 28th
    and I made my flight with time to spare. The limits on carryons may be more
    of a function of time needed to check them as opposed to threats from what's
    carried on. Although on the 28th, they were doing the pat down and carryon
    check in parallel so reducing the carryon check time probably wouldn't have
    reduced the time involved. The whole situation is a mess and really
    untenable. I've lost all interest in international travel unless absolutely
    necessary. When I go to Canada, I usually fly into Detroit then cross into
    Canada by vehicle but this Christmas, it appeared more convenient to fly
    into Toronto. Little did I know.

    iws, Jan 3, 2010
  18. Wally

    Mark Sieving Guest

    Complain to the Canadian TSA and other agencies of the Canadian
    government responsible for transportation security. Complain the the
    Canadian legislature. If any kind of boycott is warranted, it should
    be US travelers flying to Canada, rather than the other way around.
    Well, they can complain about the CATSA's policy, just like anyone
    else, but they don't make the policy.
    The US regulations require hand checking carry-on bags for passengers
    flying from or through 14 countries that are designated as state
    sponsors of terrorism or similar high risk areas. There has been no
    move by the US to ban carry-ons altogether as Canada has done.

    Mark Sieving, Jan 4, 2010
  20. Wally

    Guest Guest

    in order to fly into the usa, foreign security must meet certain tsa
    guidelines. that's why there's shoe/liquid checks for usa bound flights
    but not for flight to other places.

    the whole thing is a big charade.

    how about this gem? they only plan to catch 1 out of 4 criminals, up
    every so slightly from 2009 (25%->26%):
    <http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/59213>

    to me, that says 'failure'.

    Guest, Jan 4, 2010