    connection, I can not send e-mail. I do not own a mobile phone or pay for a
    mobile service provider. Any idea what is preventing me from sending e-mail?
    My Wi-Fi set up connection seems to be OK.

    =?Utf-8?B?TG9zdCAmIEZvdW5k?=, Oct 30, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TG9zdCAmIEZvdW5k?=

    BobC Guest

    On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 13:07:01 -0800, Lost & Found wrote:

    > Even though I can surf the Web & get e-mail via a Free Hot Spot Wi-Fi
    > connection, I can not send e-mail. I do not own a mobile phone or pay for a
    > mobile service provider. Any idea what is preventing me from sending e-mail?
    > My Wi-Fi set up connection seems to be OK.

    Your smtp settings are likey set to what is required for company or ISP.
    Since you are not connected to their network when you are at a hot spot,
    you can not use their respective servers to send mail. Some company's and
    ISPs use different ports or security requirements for their employees or
    subscribers use while connected remotely. Ask your company email admin or
    ISP what those settings are for remote access to the smtp server.

    Alternatively, use your company's or ISP webmail interface to the email
    server while connecting remotely at a hot spot.

    BobC, Oct 30, 2005

  3. "Lost & Found" <> wrote in message
    > Even though I can surf the Web & get e-mail via a Free Hot Spot Wi-Fi
    > connection, I can not send e-mail. I do not own a mobile phone or pay for
    > mobile service provider. Any idea what is preventing me from sending
    > e-mail?
    > My Wi-Fi set up connection seems to be OK.

    Most ISPs require you to either be logged on to their services to use their
    SMTP servers or to authenticate to the SMTP server when not logged on to
    them in order to send through them.

    So, try option 2 first. Supply your username and password to your ISP's SMTP
    server when you attempt to next send a message. If that is all that is
    required, you are right wherever you are and if it isn't, you have to ring
    your ISP and see what is the go. Some ISPs have their SMTP server name
    change when accessing remotely.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Oct 31, 2005
  4. One option is to use a SSL proxy like this one. Your email needs to be a
    POP3 account.

    https://www.mail2web.com/cgi-bin/login.asp?lid=0&il=1

    Another solution that I use is to use XP Pro Remote Desktop through a Secure
    Shell (SSH) tunnel to my home PC from wireless hotspots. That way I can use
    my home PC just like I was sitting in front of it and use Outlook, etc. The
    data link is totally encrypted end-to-end. Others do the same thing through
    a VPN tunnel. If your home PC is running XP Home you can use UltraVNC (or
    any flavor of VNC) through the SSH or VPN tunnel the same way. Here is a

    http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,14686628

    How I used to do that with OpenSSH for Windows and PuTTY with instructions
    for using either Remote Desktop or UltraVNC through the tunnel.

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html

    Additional help...

    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/vnc

    Also, check with your ISP. Its possible they have web based access you can
    use to access your account to receive and send email. Ideally it would be
    SSL based for security.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Oct 31, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TG9zdCAmIEZvdW5k?=

    Carol Guest

    One of the reason that hotmail, yahoo and gmail are so popular is that it
    doesn't matter who your ISP is when you want to send or receive email. To
    send email when you are not connected to your own ISP, you need to know the
    proper setting for your outgoing mail setup.

    Carol, Nov 1, 2005
  6. "Carol" <> wrote in message
    > One of the reason that hotmail, yahoo and gmail are so popular is that it
    > doesn't matter who your ISP is when you want to send or receive email. To
    > send email when you are not connected to your own ISP, you need to know
    > the proper setting for your outgoing mail setup.

    Gmail has had problems of late. I prefer my own domain name to do the above.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Nov 1, 2005