    SSH into a remote router over the net and wake up a machine on its LAN, but
    I can't work out how to do it.

    Richard.

    Richard Antony Burton, Dec 15, 2003

  2. :Can you send a magic packet from IOS? I'd find it really handy to be able to
    :SSH into a remote router over the net and wake up a machine on its LAN, but
    :I can't work out how to do it.

    http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=bdl1t3$7v8$

    isn't exactly what you are looking for but will give you some leads.

    I have forgotten the details now, but as I recall, WOL works by
    getting a packet on to the right segment, with the packet addressed
    to either the MAC address of the destination system or to
    ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, and with -somewhere- in the payload of the packet,
    the contents ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff followed by a few repetitions of
    the MAC address of the destination system. I have forgotten exactly
    how many repetitions you need. All the stuff you will see in
    programs about setting obscure ethertypes is irrelevant: it can
    be ANY kind of packet with the right destination and right contents
    at any offset in the payload. It can be a ping packet, if you can
    manage to get the right payload contents into it.

    Walter Roberson, Dec 15, 2003

  3. Thanks, I may have to try and write my own as suggested here, will have a
    look at this over Christmas holiday.

    Richard.

    http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=bdl1t3$7v8$

    Richard Antony Burton, Dec 18, 2003
  4. |In article <LPfDb.3149353$>,
    |:Can you send a magic packet from IOS?

    |I have forgotten the details now, but as I recall, WOL works by
    |getting a packet on to the right segment, with the packet addressed

    In case anyone else happened to be following this:

    I have now posted some Perl code to create routable Wake-on-Lan
    packets. The created packets -look- fine according to the
    specs, but I do not have a WOL system to test with.

    http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=bs125b$do5$

    Walter Roberson, Dec 20, 2003