    I keep doing that but the notice keeps appearing.
    What should I do?

    Should I register another password or something?

    geopelia, Dec 1, 2013

  2. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I've tried my yahoo password but that doesn't work either. My Yahoo user
    name doesn't work either.
    I've gone to the Yahoo website they give, but they want my mobile number. I
    don't have a mobile. I gave them my phone number but that doesn't work.

    Is anyone else getting this problem today, or just me?
    Could it have anything to do with the TV changeover today?

    geopelia, Dec 1, 2013

  3. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    The newsgroups seem to be working. The problem seems to be only with emails.

    geopelia, Dec 1, 2013
  4. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    First thing to try would be to restart the modem and restart the
    computer.

    Assuming that doesn't fix it and websites are still loading okay into
    the web browser, and you're using the correct password and haven't
    changed any email settings since it was last working, then it sounds
    like an issue with Xtra's outgoing mail server ... which wouldn't be
    surprising since they've farmed out the service to hopeless fools at
    Yahoo. :-(

    You could try logging on to Xtra's webmail system and see if that will
    let you send an email. http://webmail.xtra.co.nz

    You may have to wait and see if they have fixed it later. Otherwise it
    probably means a call to the help desk.

    Your Name, Dec 1, 2013
  5. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    I would say it's a problem at Xtra / Yahoo.

    There's no way it can be anything to do with the TV digital changeover
    .... unless perhaps you're trying to use the same satelitte dish for
    both internet and TV. :)

    Your Name, Dec 1, 2013

  6. Its on the New Xtra / Yahoo.
    is stuffed.

    Please never ever use it again get a better ISP with a Pop news reader.

    Xtra is a Bad ISP killed Usenet then Emails..

    Frank Williams, Dec 1, 2013
  7. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I've restarted the computer. Which is the modem? Is it that box thing with
    the five lights?

    No comment! But I've tried my Yahoo name and password and that doesn't work
    either.
    It's only this afternoon, up till now it has worked perfectly.
    I did that. I get pretty pictures and now what? Here's a reply butting in!
    There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was
    rejected. Account: 'pop3.xtra.co.nz', Server: 'pop3.xtra.co.nz', Protocol:
    POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] (#MBR1213) Please verify your account by
    going to https://login.yahoo.com', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server
    Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

    I've gone to https://login.yahoo.com twice. I'll try again

    I got a page of comments. Every one complains about yahoo! I don't use the
    wretched thing, but it seems they have some tie up with xtra now.
    I got asked a "secret question" about my eldest son. I've got news for them,
    I've got no sons at all!
    As you say, perhaps they will manage to fix it later.
    Perhaps if they can't I should change to something other than xtra. But
    could I do that if the phone runs on Telecom?
    If it doesn't fix itself overnight I'll see what the computer man thinks.
    It might be something I've done, but I can't think what. I've just done what
    I always do when ending emails.

    Brainwave! I'll see if the folks on Facebook are having problems. But then
    of course all my friends and family will be able to see my emails.

    Thanks for your suggestions.

    Geopekia

    geopelia, Dec 1, 2013
  8. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    No, I haven't got a satellite dish.. Direct line of sight to the Waitakeries
    transmitter, and the TV is working perfectly.

    geopelia, Dec 1, 2013
  9. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Thank you. I'll see what the computer man thinks.

    geopelia, Dec 1, 2013
  10. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    Xtra itself is okay-ish, but Yahoo are hopless fools. You could still
    use Xtra as the internet provider, but get a separate email address
    with someone more reliable GMail, GMX, etc.

    Your Name, Dec 1, 2013
  11. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    Yep, it's the box that plugs into the phoneline. Usually the first step
    to try when you have internet-related problems is to switch it off
    (either the modem itself or the power socket), wait a few seconds and
    then switch it on - it may take a minute or two to reset itself and
    reconnect to the Internet.

    As Frank say, it seems to be yet another problem with Xtra-Yahoo's mail
    server. So not much you or anyeone else can do until they fix it at
    their end.

    The problem is that all the Internet providers bundle phone and
    internet together, so if you change from Xtra you'll have to change
    from Telecom as well (or have two phones lines - one for internet and
    one for phone calls).

    Your Name, Dec 1, 2013
  12. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I seem to have fixed it! What they wanted wasn't my "user name" as they
    asked.
    I tried my whole Yahoo email address, ******@yahoo.com which I never use,
    and to my great surprise it worked!
    So why couldn't they have asked for that in the first place?

    I was trying every version of my real name (in its various misspellings),
    user names and combination of passwords without success.

    So if you get the same problem, that is what they want. It has to be your
    full yahoo email, not your xtra one.
    Did anyone here guess that was what they wanted? Am I the only dumb one?

    Thanks to all
    Geopelia

    geopelia, Dec 1, 2013
  13. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Just tried again using the whole email etc. Now even that isn't working!
    I'll leave it until tomorrow and try again.

    geopelia, Dec 1, 2013
  14. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Still not working.
    xtra want me to change my password. It seem they shut everybody down because
    of some spam.
    But Trend micro has probably done something about that anyway. email is
    still asking for a password and none work.

    Their form for changing the password wants a user name ending in .xadsl I
    never heard of that before. Should I just add it to my email user name?
    I'm phoning 0800 22 55 98 to try to find out what they mean, if I ever get
    through.

    Does anyone know how long xtra is taking to answer calls? I waited half an
    hour this morning before hanging up.If it is an hour or so I can leave the
    phone sitting there playing music and pick it up when a human might be near
    the other end.

    geopelia, Dec 2, 2013
  15. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=
    11165400

    Sounds like you may be one of the compromised accounts - that is, you
    have (*had* :) ) a weak password.

    Switch on Geo - use a strong password! I recommend a password phrase
    system, where you simply type the first character as you say the phrase.
    eg. I always use is: The News starts at 6 O'clock => [email protected]'c - that's a
    strong password!

    *Don't* use any family names, pet names, and don't use low numbers in
    your password (eg. 1 - silly stuff!).

    Dave Doe, Dec 2, 2013
  16. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    Dave Doe, Dec 2, 2013
  17. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    Don't use Xtra/Yahoo - but last time I looked, they show you an example.

    Dave Doe, Dec 2, 2013
  18. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    Your account has been 'stopped' because you have a weak password and
    it's been compromised - so to stop the hackers from using your account
    to send out spam to all your contacts, it's been suspended - until you
    change your password.

    See my other message - develop a password phrase system so that you have
    an easy to remember, but very strong password.

    Dave Doe, Dec 2, 2013
  19. geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    No lets see what happens if the logic test is applied. Nothing wrong with
    Xtra/Telcom and yet they chose Yahoo to deliver their e-mail service which
    falls over. There is no chance that what is wrong with Xtra /Telecom is
    their choice of e-mail providers?

    Yeah right! A contractor is crap if he chose a piss poor subbie.

    Gordon, Dec 2, 2013
  20. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    Nope. If "crap passwords" was the cause, then you would be having
    problems with every large email provider on the internet, including
    Google's GMail.

    The reality is that it's Yahoo which is crap. Reportedly they haven't
    updated their servers properly, so their system is full of security
    holes.

    They also supposedly provide an email service with POP / IMAP access,
    and then insist you log on to their idiotic webmail system "often
    enough" to keep your account. Because I didn't log on to webmail "often
    enough", they simply deleted my account - no warning, no email
    reminder, just wipe it out. They're useless cretins who don't know how
    to run the service they supposedly provide, just like Vodafone NZ.

    Your Name, Dec 2, 2013