    Ok. I know this must be simple but I just can't find the answer.

    How do you set Outlook to download your mail when you start it?

    Ferg

    Ferg, Sep 9, 2004

  2. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    That is Outlook 2003 on WinXP system.

    Ferg

    Ferg, Sep 9, 2004

  3. Ferg

    E. Scrooge Guest

    OE 6 actually.

    Tools - Accounts - Mail - properties - general - tick box to include account
    when recieving mail.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 9, 2004
  4. Ferg

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    Tools\
    send/receive\
    send/receive settings\
    define send/receive groups\
    etc.....

    HTHs

    Ryan Jacobs, Sep 9, 2004
  5. Ferg

    Genius Guest

    Try under Tools:Options:General.

    Genius, Sep 9, 2004
  6. Ferg

    JedMeister Guest

    Yes, but that does not do an auto send/receive when you launch. It does
    allow send/receive when exiting. But no send/receive when outlook 2003
    starts up.

    There is an option to 'send automatically when connected', but this is
    different to 'send/receive when outlook starts'.

    Because, when outlook starts you are already connected to the net..so the
    send/receive is not activated. At least, in my 2003 i have clicked all of
    the auto send/receives and it does not do so when starting up.

    JedMeister, Sep 9, 2004
  7. Ferg

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    Oops, my bad :)

    Try this....

    tools
    options
    mail setup
    check "send immediately when connected"

    HTHs

    PS:
    1. Top posting is bad (and lazy)
    2. If you reply to a post in your own thread - at least have the curtesy of
    using the same nick throughout.

    Both of the above relate to consistency, ease of following a thread, and
    shear intelligence.

    Ryan Jacobs, Sep 9, 2004
  8. Ferg

    E. Scrooge Guest

    It might help if it starts up with the Inbox displayed as well.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 9, 2004
  9. Ferg

    JedMeister Guest

    Ah you are right. Tools/options/ Other tab/ Advanced options button/ then
    set the start up folder.

    It would be nice if outlook could just synch all email folders automatically
    on starting outlook, without having to change the startup folder. Although,
    not complaining, this is 10,000 times better than lotus notes.

    JedMeister, Sep 9, 2004
  10. Ferg

    JedMeister Guest

    by the way, I am not ferg...just interested in the same thing.

    JedMeister, Sep 9, 2004
  11. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    Well it just aint the same thang.

    Thankin ya kindly like tho.

    Ferrrg

    Ferg, Sep 10, 2004
  12. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    OK so doesn't this just set which accounts will be actioned when you puch
    the send/receive button?

    Ferg

    Ferg, Sep 10, 2004
  13. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    I have never understood why top posting is a problem if you are only saying
    one concept in response to a whole posting. I seem to make it easier because
    you don't have to scroll through the whole email looking for replies.
    I would just like to say I only post as myself. Jumping to conclusions!

    Ferg

    Ferg, Sep 10, 2004
  14. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    Ummm. There is no "Tools:Options:General" in Outlook.

    Ferg

    Ferg, Sep 10, 2004
  15. Ferg

    E. Scrooge Guest

    I guess not then, top poster.

    Funny how this happens to be in your headers though:

    Isn't it just?
    I could be wrong but as far as I know OE 7 hasn't even been released yet.
    It should be starting up on the "inbox" as well.

    You better do something about the info in your headers since you aren't
    using OE 6.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 10, 2004
  16. Ferg

    E. Scrooge Guest

    LOL
    Yours must be the only copy out of millions that doesn't have it then.
    Sign up for some computer lessons instead.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 10, 2004
  17. Ferg

    AD. Guest

    To make it easier for the next person to reply if they want more than one
    level of context. Also, which part of that post does your one concept
    relate to? It isn't always apparent to other readers.

    The whole scrolling thing should be avoided by people snipping properly.

    The following isn't aimed at you BTW, just a general rant...

    I think in general top posting is slightly easier (read lazier) for the
    poster at the expense of everyone else. But what goes around comes around,
    top posters only end up making it harder for themselves in the end.

    Bottom posting and proper snipping show more respect for those around you,
    which makes it easier for people to reply, which improves the likely

    Continual top posting and replying without snipping strikes me as similar
    to throwing litter out of a car window. ie they don't really have to deal
    with the results of their laziness.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Sep 10, 2004
  18. Ferg

    theseus Guest

    Bottom posting makes it easier to reply directly to the point you wish to,
    like this.
    Otherwise other posters reading the thread would have to read the second
    post first to figure out what the top posted reply referred to.
    Usenet is a group discussion channel, sequential, like chat.
    If you are worried about wearing out subsequent posters scrollmice, just
    snip sensibly.

    theseus, Sep 10, 2004
  19. Ferg

    Guest Guest

    Agreed!

    Divine

    Guest, Sep 10, 2004
  20. Ferg

    Guest Guest

    And, let's face it, exactly how hard is it to remove the parts of
    someone's post that you are not replying to?

    How hard is it to put the response BELOW the text to which one is replying?

    IMHO, it's sheer bloody-mindedness NOT to snip and to reply underneath.

    Divine

    Guest, Sep 10, 2004